Bulk Slash (English)

Bulk Slash English localization project 1.001

Good job, with all the effort and professionalism here.

I understand why this seems to not have even been thought of, why it wouldn't cross your mind. But is there any hope for a patch option that keeps all the translated text but DOESN'T change the audio files? Not to insult the actors you guys got, but I just really would like the option to still listen to the original actors, even if that means something like having to look up translations to their in-battle dialogue elsewhere and not during the game.

Good job, with all the effort and professionalism here.

I understand why this seems to not have even been thought of, why it wouldn't cross your mind. But is there any hope for a patch option that keeps all the translated text but DOESN'T change the audio files? Not to insult the actors you guys got, but I just really would like the option to still listen to the original actors, even if that means something like having to look up translations to their in-battle dialogue elsewhere and not during the game.
In the readme

I can't seem to get this working. I'm using the SegaSaturnPatcher and a redump.org verified dump of "Bulk Slash (Japan)"; 3 .bin tracks and a .cue. Standard stuff.

I open it in SegaSaturnPatcher, load the .ssp on the far right, patch, and get the Success message. The resulting image then gives me the CD Player "Game disc unsuitable for this system" error in any emulator I try.

I've tried combining the 3 tracks into a single track using CD mage, I've tried selecting the "Separate Tracks" option in SegaSaturnPatcher... always patches with 'Success'... no change in results.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to get this working. I'm using the SegaSaturnPatcher and a redump.org verified dump of "Bulk Slash (Japan)"; 3 .bin tracks and a .cue. Standard stuff.

I open it in SegaSaturnPatcher, load the .ssp on the far right, patch, and get the Success message. The resulting image then gives me the CD Player "Game disc unsuitable for this system" error in any emulator I try.

I've tried combining the 3 tracks into a single track using CD mage, I've tried selecting the "Separate Tracks" option in SegaSaturnPatcher... always patches with 'Success'... no change in results.

there is an issue with the patch's region section. A fix is in place, just needs to be published.

Before disc region mis-identification problem is fixed, you can run patched disc in Mednafen by turning off "Attempt to auto-detect region of game" and setting "Default region to use" to "jp" (These are settings under "Systems > Sega Saturn > Emulation" in Mednaffe frontend. They might be named differently if you use other frontends). With RetroArch, you can run patched disc with "Beetle Saturn" core by changing "System Region" to "Japan" in core options and restarting the game.

Also, congrats to the translation team on releasing this patch. Really enjoy the English dub.

Last edited:

Game seems to require an expansion cart on Mednafen set it to "extram4" for the game to work. Yaba sanshiro is the recommended emulator.

Just use region patcher and set it to either USA, Japan or Europe, that's it.
It doesn't seem to like region free or more than one region, so only choose one.

It doesn't seem to like region free or more than one region, so only choose one.
Crap, that's the ONE thing I didn't try. Good call, thanks :)

Why is the file that ends up patched in SSCD format? There is no way to change it to cue + bin?
just change the file type when saving the game. The current is beta with SSCD as the newest feature. Once you set your preferred filetype when you save, it will remember it going forward.

yes, this should clean out the broken region section.

Just wanted to say thanks to the team for this! I've had my eye on this game for while and just played a few minutes of the patch on original hardware and it works great. Can't want to dig in and all the hard work is genuinely appreciated!

Danthrax updated Bulk Slash (English) with a new update entry:

Version 1.001 improves compatibility with Mednafen

This small update to the Bulk Slash English patch changes the header file's region from every region at once to Japan only, which should prevent Mednafen from getting confused and setting itself to a U.S. BIOS, thus enabling Mednafen users to play the patched game without having to turn off their emulator's auto region patching.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Weird... the patcher should have rejected it since the differentials would have failed.
Idk, it worked to repatch for me. And then it also worked to re-repatch thinking I got the old version to see if patching with that over the new version would fix it (it didn't, it was the same version anyway, lol, I'm new to the site). And then I did a clean rip and patched that and it worked as it should :)

Also used the Saturn patcher to convert most of my games with mutliple track files to the tidy bin/cue stuff I like! For some with tons of tracks it crashes.

Back