FTP abuse!?

I hope people dont think thats what I did, after all I had to get all my games, i didnt have much uploaded to me. If you live in Ontario Canada and are on rogers cable, you'll know what i mean. THo, rogers can royally go fuck themselves, i'm gonna put up the ftp with them bugging me or not. hope everyone will be happy.

I DO NOT want any guests on the FTP, its for users of SX only, I dont care about post count. Maybe i'll even empose a ratio, who knows, you'll just have to see when i post in my server thread.

Ratios are useless for everyone but the site owner - they just ensure that more and more people can't download stuff as time passes. Eventually, lamers wil just start uploading junk data just to get around the ratio anyway. Download limits of some kind might be reasonable though, if your ftp daemon can actually implement them as anything other than ratios. I'd suggest the following, but I'm not aware of an ftpd that supports this combination (though there's probably one out there):

- A session length limit.

- A per-IP (or per-account if the FTP is based on accounts) daily download limit.

- IP-restricted "leech" accounts for operators of established FTPs.

The session length and download limits would have to be played with a bit to get useful values, but I think they'd be much better than ratios in general. Any thoughts?

Well, im quite new to the forums here.

I have had my FTP online for about 3 weeks now, almost 24 hrs the day.

I must agree on that leecher problem.

I handle it that way:

When someone was/is willing to trade some games and not just leech, he/she gets a special account on my FTP, i then let them connect. close the server for new connections and kick all the leechers, so i have my entire bandwidth for those who contribute to the collection on the FTP.

But its that way. Too many kids that get sucked into the emu scene due to actual platforms being dumped, like the GBA. They then start collecting all the other platforms and rush out on websites and FTPs leeching games till the sites get shut for bandwidth problems.

A post count limit wont help i think, you cant divide the good boys and the bad boys only by post count.

Password protection ends up at the same problem:

Whom to give access and what to decide on wether to grant access or not ?

A solution maybe hide the FTP board for guests so only registered members can see it. Many newer boards support this feature.

Ok listen I got a idea. I am gonna work on the "ftp" link... Turn it into that "Ftp Alliance" where ftp host must REGISTER their ftps and well...be "controlled" by SX team. This means we check content, what you offer. ANd make SURE your not a ftp leech....none of this " only 2 users at time" stuff OR the FAMOUS "Upload this game and ill host" No more of these posts. YES we all here were ONCE SCD ftp newbies and YES we ALL (ALLLLLL) Leeched at first, dont deny it. HOWEVER MOST of us also gave something back or helped another in return! I know I do........ask Cyn ;) anyways Ill see what I can do. If your a FTP host pls email me. Lets get you listed. (Note your ftp wont be listed. Only your username)

Back