Hacked a 21pin mod to 20 pin saturn

Hi! :) :)

I have done this mod now. twice.

And it work nice. :thumbs-up:

I have a model 1, pal saturn. (model MK-80200-50)

One chip from racketboy works 100%

And one from robwebb in uk. works 100%

Both chips look like, but have little diffrence in color.

I use the picture posted from Pinchy.

Thanx to all for this help, and info. :cheers

BuzzBrain

Awesome -- glad to hear it!

Yeah, I've had about 2 different colors of chips over the last few months -- just a different shade of blue.

Just did the 21 pin to 20 pin mod of the modchip. A bit difficult but works fine in my model 1 saturn. Thanks for the fine instructions. The picture that seal1 edited truly shows all that needs to be done.

The only thing I can add, is something that seems common sense but could cause a problem for someone.

You have to plug the 20 pin cd ribbon cable into the 21 pin connector on the mod chip. It's not pointed out anywhere, but the cable should be situated to the far right of the connector - so that the slot on the left side of the connector [pin 1?] is empty. (It made sense to do so as you cut off the edge connector on the left side of the modchip.)

Again, thank you for posting this info.

Originally posted by seal1@Fri, 2005-01-21 @ 08:19 PM

I did some paintwork ... with "Connect Pin 6 EM78->pin 6 C" as I think not to "5 C"

7 wires, 5 cuts, 2-4 desolder, 1 dremeljob:

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?act...ype=post&id=996

[post=128136]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a PAL Saturn here right now with a 21-pin ribbon cable and a 64-pin chip on the drive PCB - but even after reading this thread, I'm still not sure whether this will work on a 21/64-pin Saturn or only on the 20-pin ribbon cable versions.

If it also works on the 21/64 variant, is it still necessary on that to dremel off the leftmost (seen from the component side) pin on the chip?

Confirmed working with a lik-sang mod board.

finally.. after 2 years of collecting dust, the mod is working in my mod2 sat.!

great work Pinchy!

you da man :)

and offcourse thx go out to seal1 for his nice pics wich were most helpfull ;)

*edit*

cheered to soon... i fried the chip.

Don't know what happened but after reassembling the chip was dead... :damn: :damn: :damn:

The drive doesn't spin up and the led doesn't stop blinking :(

i sure hope racketboy ships to belgium.. ;)

I find this one peculiar.

I did this mod, installed it and left the cover off.

First: legite game. It lense never went to the end of the CD to check the security ring, it just booted right up. Everything worked fine

Second: back-up game. The lense goes strait to the end looking for the security ring and doesn't boot.

EVEN MORE PECULIAR: Put in legite disk and go to the CD Player, after checking if legite or not (still without going to security ring). Motor stops spinning and I place a bootleg in and hit play. It hangs up EXCEPT when I put PDS in there. Why would it boot my backup of PDS but no others?

EDIT: one other small prob, the case doesn't close back up cause the mod is to tall.

Nevermind, PDS won't boot anymore like that, but it did once!

One last thing... I just put in a legite disk that has the security ring destroyed on it. These few games like this won't boot in a regular unmodded Saturn. But with the chip in it will, even on this one right here. The chip I put in this Saturn must be sending something, just not all... maybe its not getting enough power? or did I not cut a trace enough? hrmm.....

I've been reading this thread for about 3 days now, and I'm amazed at some of the stuff you guys are doing with Saturns. I hastily ordered on on Ebay for a decent price, it has been paid for, but has yet to arrive. I also ordered the chip from Jandaman as well as the Pro Action Replay cart. Tonight, on closer inspection of the sub par picture on the ebay auction, I have come to realize I have mistakenly ordered a model 1, and any hope I had of personally moddifying the saturn were just shattered. I have no soldering skills what-so-ever, and no electrical skills.

My question is, once the chip comes in, does anyone do modifications to chips for a price so I can simply install it once it arrives from the modification, because as I said, I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of doing it correctly. I'll gladly pay whomever can offer a fair price and I will pay shipping both way (to you and then from you again back to me), I'm just suddenly very frustrated for not taking a closer look at the Saturn before buying it, and am now simply try to find a way to get the mod chip i purchased to work in this Saturn Model 1.

Or better yet, does anyone here offer Saturn Modifications, I can send you the model 1 + chip and PAC and have it sent back to me modded and working? Either way is fine at this point, I'm very disappointed in myself for not watching the Model closer.

I actually just broke down and ordered a Model 2 from ebay, cost me another 60 on top of the 60 ive spent on the other Saturn, and the 40 i spent on the chip and the PAR Cart, but at least it will work, and I can probably resell the model 1 if so inclined, as of now, I'm going to hold on to both, incase for some reason I would fark up the model 2. But I plan to use your instructions RacketBoy, so I hope I have no problems, I should probably go out and pick up a low voltage solder gun though. I don't know that I have one laying around, though I read theres been success with wrapping the wire around the proper pin, can anyone verify that so I could perhaps get away without soldering my saturn period?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Sat, 2005-07-23 @ 05:38 PM

EDIT: one other small prob, the case doesn't close back up cause the mod is to tall.

[post=137140]Quoted post[/post]​

you need to cut/flatten some of the plastic:

See the red triangle.

I used my dremel and some sanding paper to flatten it down.

thx to seal1 for his picture

i hope he doesn't mind me using it. ;)

Originally posted by racketboy@Wed, 2005-08-03 @ 07:15 PM

Yeah somebody should do a "chip-modding" service :)

I could probably generate a number of referals.

[post=137842]Quoted post[/post]​

I would be glad to help out for any European guys here (Uk, Germany, Belgium,..)

I Do not want to buy/sell modded chip but if you let racketboy ship it to me or you send it yourself i could mod them and forward them or ship them back.

I could check around if i can find some of these trailer tap connectors:

ST13.jpg

for a complete non solder solution.

Just did this mod to a modcard I had lying around. Works Great!!!

I followed seal1's diagram.

I will try and take a picture and post it.

BTW, I didn't have to modify any part of my Saturn (model 1) to get it to fit.

Originally posted by drk42@Fri, 2005-08-19 @ 11:56 AM

Just did this mod to a modcard I had lying around. Works Great!!!

I followed seal1's diagram.

I will try and take a picture and post it.

BTW, I didn't have to modify any part of my Saturn (model 1) to get it to fit.

[post=138448]Quoted post[/post]​

What model numbers (the bold white print) are on your CD board?

Back