Hacked a 21pin mod to 20 pin saturn

Originally posted by seal1@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 05:30 PM

old pictures-links are broken and boardupload doesn´t work this days .... msg me w/ your email-addy

[post=141471]Quoted post[/post]​

i did it , i am waiting for your mail :D

Originally posted by NHJ@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 10:09 PM

i did it , i am waiting for your mail  :D

[post=141528]Quoted post[/post]​

hello,

sorry for delay ... got some webspace

mod-my.jpg

green = connect

red = cut/desolder if not already cutted/separated

yellow "1" = pin 1

I recommend: put the modchipboard into mainboard not cd-board. the modchipboard is maybe a little bit bend so some contacts have no contact in the mainboardslot, this was a error for me with 2 modchipboards resulting in strange red/yellow/green spheres or cubes combos at boot. I resoldered the flatcable-port at the modchipboard (that was the reason) to unbend the modchipboards and to get good contact within slot at mainboard.

more pictures need ? ask I post here.

ciao

Originally posted by seal1@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 05:48 PM

hello,

sorry for delay ... got some webspace

mod-my.jpg

green = connect

red = cut/desolder if not already cutted/separated

yellow "1" = pin 1

I recommend: put the modchipboard into mainboard not cd-board. the modchipboard is maybe a little bit bend so some contacts have no contact in the mainboardslot, this was a error for me with 2 modchipboards resulting in strange red/yellow/green spheres or cubes combos at boot. I resoldered the flatcable-port at the modchipboard (that was the reason) to unbend the modchipboards and to get good contact within slot at mainboard.

more pictures need ? ask I post here.

ciao

[post=141532]Quoted post[/post]​

it's very clear, tommorow i'll open my grey saturn to see if i have well a 32 pin controller, if so i'll order this famous modchip.

Originally posted by NHJ@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 07:46 PM

it's very clear, tommorow i'll open my grey saturn to see if i have well a 32 pin controller, if so i'll order this famous modchip.

[post=141535]Quoted post[/post]​

do i have to link the point A and B together with a bridge?

in my grey saturn there's no 32 pin controller nor 64 pin.is that normal?

so the wire for the signal has not to be soldered?

also 0014 has to be soldered as configuration for the old saturn lens, one of the red line is meant to separate the 0014 from 0019 configuration but what is the meaning of the other red line?

Originally posted by Sasurai+Tue, 2005-01-25 @ 04:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sasurai @ Tue, 2005-01-25 @ 04:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>>> Connect Pin 6 EM78->pin 5 C

>or as identified "for me, my eyes/mind" on pinchy´s fotos (PHTO0005.JPG it looks like 6 C not 5 C)

it is pin 6, he probably mistyped it.

>my 20pin saturn CD-board is EMW10447-004E (big V) and ENR-007 (big B)

>no 32 or 64pin chip on topside of cd-board only a 24pin.

your cd-board is probably the same as mine, maybe an older/newer layout.

>what is the magic about the 32pin, coz the extra wire from modchip to cd-board ? on my other saturn a 21pin

>modded with EMSIC7-modchip there is no extra wire. if this really needed or with other code on the modchip not

>necessary?

the extra wire is for the 8mhz clock signal, which is needed to syncronize with the bus, which is stated in another thread is routed through pin 1 which directly goes to pad b, so you can also connect pad a+b instead of the cable to the cd-board (for the 21pin version, for the 20pin version the signal runs through pin 9 and that is why you connect pin 9 to pad a)

[post=128330]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-seal1

(MID = middle pad between 0014 and 0019)

yes the small red ones are the cuts and/or the desolders.

desolders means - remove the solder iron to disconnect A-B or +5v-B or 0014-MID or MID-0019 if there is solder iron. I assume only 0014-MID is soldered per factory default which goes for 21pin-saturns before august 1996 (MID-0019 for 21pin-saturns during/from august 1996).

so per factory default you should desolder 0014-MID and desolder the wire from A coz it´s not needed for 20pin.
[/quote]

Hello seal1, thanks a lot for your help. I've made the modification according to your information.

It was quite :flamethrower: but ok here is where I'm. Can you tell me if it is right?

And also what do I ve to do with A B and the red wire on the top near B on the left (it is not on the pic but on the original chip)?

modchip_20pin__redimensionner.jpg

modchip_20pin_redimensionner.jpg

Wohooo it work, thanks a lot seal1, you have made a very good job, clear :)

I've made all the modification according to your note. It was perfect.

some hint:

- The red wire goes to 5v on the alim.

- I've cut the 21pin with a dremel

- you can use strap to solder cable

- put the chip in the motherboard header

- the ribbon goes all the way to the right in the chip header

- B is free

- the stap in the middle 014 019 is alone

All this work is quite difficult, if s o wants to try to mod his chip and if he don't have any elec or solder base, it is going to be a nightmare for him to try this. Anyways keep up. IT WORK :D

Thanks also to Pinchy W/O him this wld hv been impossible.

Hi there,

I have a Sega Saturn Pal version 1 console, and im just getting ready to mod it with the mod chip i bought from racketboy, but im a little unsure about one of the details and thats about the removing the 21st pin with a dremel on the mod plugin contacts.

I have a 21 pin cd-rom cable, and what looks like a 64pin chip, will i need to remove the 21 pin with a dremel, since i have a 21 pin slot and not a 20 pin slot?

Thanks

NOS9

Im having trouble with my mod, ive made the adaptions to the mod board, and now ive installed it the cd-rom unit is not communicating with the system, so the screen says checking disk, and the door being open of closed does not make a difference.

I grided the side of mod board with the 21st pin off up to the 21st pin, and it fits the socket with no problems.

Ive checked voltage to mod board, and its okay.

Ive tryed removing the cd-rom cable from the mod board, and placed it in its original configuration with the main board, and it works as it should, but not with the mod board.

Does any one have any idea of things to rule out, because my drive is not spinning up, so either the mod is dead or there is connection problems right?

I need some forum support, thanks.

Nos9

Hello, I'm not sure about your model 1 saturn mine had only 20pin if yours got 21pin the chip should work directly without the need of a mod. This mod is only required for the 20pin saturn (with ovale button).

I was not fast enought to answer you :( I' think now you have to buy a new chip and sell your moded one.

If you have a 21pin saturn, you don't need to mod the chip :(

you saturn is this one?

DSCF0071.JPG

or that one?

saturn1.jpg

Hi,

I have sega saturn with oval buttons, and a 21 pin cdrom, but a 64 pin cd-rom chip. Here are some photo's of my console, if any one could confirm if my console should work without the mod modifications, then i could undo the changes i think.

I have good photos of area of my sega saturn, but since the forum admin has not fixed the image upload permissions we can not add any images, DAM!

I have not grided off the 21 pin, and im unsure why we need to do that, but if i did grid off the pin, would that be to aline the mod board with the socket or what?

I have a ENR-011 (A) EMW10589-002 Cd-rom unit.

Could some one tell which IC we are suppost to check to see if its a 32 pin or a 64 pin?

I think i have a 64 pin IC version cd-rom unit.

IC501:

5L1

HD

6433612H

A04

Japan

CDM202V

My system model is: MK-80200-50, made in indonesia.

My Main board is: PC 80 SATURN MAIN VA PAL 50.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks.

Nos9

hello all, i received my chip from racketboy today, what a service 4days to arrive from the states to belgium.

anyway, the most important is that following seal1's explaination, i have been able to finally mod my jap grey saturn after 6 years waiting for a modchip.

i wish to thank him and may this forum help other people :thumbs-up:

I bought two mod chips, and i modified one chip, and left one as it arrived, ive tryed both, and i could not get it to work.

When it came to the modified Mod Board, the disk drive did not detect the cd unit, i think i know why it might not be detecting the cd cable, so im going to buy another one just to be sure.

I bought two more Sega Saturn console in the last 74 hours, one is a version 2, the other im not sure, but i will be able to see what versions of hardware is installed in both.

Has any one been able to mod a version 1 pal 50 console?

Nos9

Hello, I'hope you will make it work. If you got a model two it is ok normaly it is the easyest way.

Mine was a version 1 pal MK-80200-50 it was the first model aivailable in Belgium at that time. My bro buyed it the day after the lauch of the saturn here.

Gogou, any chance you could take a photo of your console with the case lid off without messing with your mod chip at all, so that i can see what your hardware looks like from mine?

Naturally, i don't want you to mess with your mod chip at all, as now its working don't touch it unless it stops working. ;)

In theory, your console must be the same, but since there is little information on console hardware differences, specially if you looks at the documentation for the microsoft xbox, we should try and gather some together. I have two saturns due to arrive hopefully tomorrow, and one is for sure a version 2, so im hoping could get that one working with the other mod chip. Ive not given up on the version 1, so i will try again with another modchip soon, as i messed something up on the plugin contacts.

Nos9

My mod chip also looks very different, could that be a compatible version 1 mod chip, as mine is from racket boy, and its like the one show in seals mod modifications image.

Nos9

Hello, the modchip you see on the pic is not the one I use actualy. It was a chip normaly compatible with model 1 but it never worked. So I buyed one from racket boy.

If you look some post before, you will see my chip, the one I've moded.

Did you look at the link I've provided some post ago? There are information about the chip for model1 and for model2 64pin

I've buyed the first chip here: http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm

Back