just wanted to say the demo is absolutely brilliant. been playing it for hours and the work you are doing is nothing short of amazing. thank you for all your hard work and creating this game. I look forward to seeing more updates on your progress. I have also been sharing the link to the sage page to download the demo and telling people to subscribe to your youtube channel/ visit Sega xtreme for updates. I will be doing a video on it and will post it here. keep up the great work!!!

just wanted to say the demo is absolutely brilliant. been playing it for hours and the work you are doing is nothing short of amazing. thank you for all your hard work and creating this game. I look forward to seeing more updates on your progress. I have also been sharing the link to the sage page to download the demo and telling people to subscribe to your youtube channel/ visit Sega xtreme for updates. I will be doing a video on it and will post it here. keep up the great work!!!
Thanks!
I am in the process of rewriting a huge chunk of the engine to use portals instead of a bsp tree for the rendering part, after that making new maps should be faster and easier.
The demo is quite short and I am sorry about that, but my bsp compiler and the map format I worked with caused a few issues that made map creation long and painful.
Once I am done with the new format this project will be able to truly take off...hopefully!

here is a link to the video I have done on the game which features highlight footage from all the levels in 1 player and also some 2 player action shown. Me and my son had a great time playing this in split screen its our new favourite and is so much fun. thank you.

here is a link to the video I have done on the game which features highlight footage from all the levels in 1 player and also some 2 player action shown. Me and my son had a great time playing this in split screen its our new favourite and is so much fun. thank you.

Amazing video!
I will put a link to your video in the SAGE page!

Btw, you can charge the grenade to throw it further! ;)

Last edited:
I updated the demo with 2 more Quake maps, mainly for deathmatch.
They werent meant to work with my bsp compiler and I didn't do much testing, so it might be glitchy and have collision issues, but it still looks nice.

1570272717599.jpg
1570272745452.jpg 1570272752064.jpg
1570273000938.jpg

Here is a short video of me and my son playing the 2 new maps in deathmatch. Both are really fun and play excellent. We have had a great time playing them. You are doing fantastic work on this game, I cant believe how high quality you have managed to make it. Looking forward to seeing more updates and thank you :)

Reactions: XL2
I saw Sega LordX plug your demo on a recent YouTube video for the Saturn. Awesome work.

New video showing the whole SAGE 2019 demo single player gameplay.
I also recently added gibs and lens flares (VDP1->work ram->VDP2 layer+additive blending).

Light_halo1.png
Lens flare.png

Man, I cannot believe how smoothly that runs. It really is a shame Saturn development stopped so early in it's life.

I rewrote some parts of my map compiler to allow the use of brushes. I can now make bigger maps much faster.
I will focus on portal rendering for now to allow even bigger maps/rooms and hopefully I will reach the same level of scale as Duke 3d. I also r-eadded world hazards and animations (not seen in that video).

1573497238229.jpg

I rewrote some parts of my map compiler to allow the use of brushes. I can now make bigger maps much faster.
I will focus on portal rendering for now to allow even bigger maps/rooms and hopefully I will reach the same level of scale as Duke 3d. I also r-eadded world hazards and animations (not seen in that video).

View attachment 4928

The new map looks awsome can't wait to try it. My Japanese hisaturn power cable is broken, so just waiting for a new one to arrive. Then will try it in one and two player and put some footage up. You have made a lot of progress recently. loving all the updates and it gets more impressive with each one

The new map looks awsome can't wait to try it. My Japanese hisaturn power cable is broken, so just waiting for a new one to arrive. Then will try it in one and two player and put some footage up. You have made a lot of progress recently. loving all the updates and it gets more impressive with each one
I am working on full portal rendering, which works despite some bugs to fix and some optimizations.
Once that is done I can focus on crazier maps, so I think I would just try this version on emulators unless you really want to see it in action.

I don't know where else to post this so I hope you don't mind.

This is (jo engine) source code / demo for a render path using methods initially sourced from XL2.
It compiles in high-res mode and is incomplete (in that it ignores most data from polygon's attbl) and other some such things,
but for the champions out there, it's a useful place to start.

Performance estimates drawing
from LWRAM: (ssh2) Up to 1400 total polygons (not drawn, but total)
from HWRAM: (ssh2) Up to 1800 total polygons (matches SGL default)
Master CPU can assist but up to a maximum of 600 polygons sent from master (SpriteBuf size limit).
Animated entities cost 20% more than non-animated.
Pre-clipping disable logic was cut as while it comes at a minimum of cost, a cost is any cost when the CPU hits the limit before VDP1 does

Attachments

• blue.zip
    82.8 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Wanted to see how it looked, so I tried to compile it in joengine, but I get error messages. I didn't change anything in the code.
1574628539234.png

Back