J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues - English Patch

J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues - English Translation 1.00

Arjak, it's so crazy that I learned about this series today at 1am and was trying to see if it was translated and not only does it have an active project, but it was updated just this Wed. No idea how many chapters this game has but I'm diving into the most recent update and just wanted to say that I appreciate the hell out of you and your translation team.

Beautiful work! This game is really a "hidden gem" which deserves the care you're giving it :angelic:

Thank goodness for the kind & generous people such as yourself in our retro gaming communities!!!

Arjak, it's so crazy that I learned about this series today at 1am and was trying to see if it was translated and not only does it have an active project, but it was updated just this Wed. No idea how many chapters this game has but I'm diving into the most recent update and just wanted to say that I appreciate the hell out of you and your translation team.

Judging by the walkthrough on GameFAQs, there are four chapters (as well as the prologue). So Arjak is more than halfway done, it seems!

is anyone having trouble patching this version using Knight0fDragon's Sega Saturn Patcher? It keeps saying "Error Building ISO! Access to the path '0.BIN' is denied".

is anyone having trouble patching this version using Knight0fDragon's Sega Saturn Patcher? It keeps saying "Error Building ISO! Access to the path '0.BIN' is denied".
I patched it just fine. Maybe @Knight0fDragon might know? The two basics that come to mind to check are:
  1. Make sure you're using a clean image or disc to start with, not a previously patched image/disc.
  2. Check your temp folder and clear out anything SSP related.

Not sure if this would solve your issue, but make sure you have write access to the folder in question (right-click it in Explorer and go to Properties, uncheck "read only")

It is this. Windows permissions vary by OS. I would recommend using the private build in Grandia if you are having issues, as that version tries its best to alter permissions to what I need.

Arjak updated J.B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues - English Patch with a new update entry:

Full Translation Released!

After a year of hard work, the J.B. Harold translation is finally complete and ready for release! This has been a labor of love for me, and I am happy to finally share the final(?) product.

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: If you are upgrading from a previous version of the patch, be sure to re-patch a clean copy of Disc 1 with the new version. The ending scenes are on Disc 1, and are not translated in the previous version of the patch, meaning that if you do not create a new Disc 1 image, the ending...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks a lot, man
Could you please begin translation of the next game about J.B. Harold?
I mean Manhattan Requiem https://legendsworld.net/adventure/game/13577
It was originally on Laser Active, but there is Windows 95 version as well though without FMV.
I would love to translate the other J.B. Harold titles at some point. I don't think it will be my next project, though. I need a break.

It's quite unfortunate that the FMV remake of Manhattan Requiem was not ported far and wide like Blue Chicago Blues was. If I had the time and the money, I would fly around the world, kicking emulator developers' butts until a LaserActive emulator was made. I might be able to do something with other versions, but that would require me to learn a whole new skill set.

I actually got very lucky with Blue Chicago Blues as my first translation project. There were a lot of factors that made it a good first project.

First, the existence of the English dub in an easy to manipulate format. If the PC version didn't have the video clips as simple AVI video files, I doubt that this project would've been possible. Capturing LaserActive footage would be very hard, and impossible to do on my budget.

Second, good tools that made editing the Saturn version easy to learn. Without the work done by this community, I would've probably given up long ago. At one point, I was planning to do other versions as well, starting with the 3DO, but my attempts to make changes to that version have been rocky. 3DO game hacking is still in its infancy, and the tools are just not good enough for someone of my skill level to make it happen at this time. I might take a look at the PSX version at some point, but for now, I'm done.

Third, no assembly required. Another lucky break was that all the text was stored in graphic files, making it a simple matter to edit them.

While it's not an immediate concern, I would definitely be open to coming back to J.B. Harold at some point in the future. I don't know which version I would do, but I'll try to look into it someday.

Back