Promoting community spirit!

Let me rephrase my question, I don't want to offend anybody...oh well here goes, anybody here not Asian or White?

(Edited by slinga at 8:21 pm on Mar. 1, 2002)

Quote: from slinga on 7:17 pm on Mar. 1, 2002

Let me rephrase my question, I don't want to offend anybody...oh well here goes, anybody here not Asian or White?

(Edited by slinga at 8:21 pm on Mar. 1, 2002)

Well it depends on what you consider Asian. Although I'm not apreciative of it, most (not all) people consider Asians to be people from Japan, China, Korea, and the other countries nearby. I'm 100% Indian so I guess I am am Asian (considering India is in Asia)

Well it depends on what you consider Asian. Although I'm not apreciative of it, most (not all) people consider Asians to be people from Japan, China, Korea, and the other countries nearby. I'm 100% Indian so I guess I am am Asian (considering India is in Asia)

asian, as person from that geographic region, maybe. but he was referring to the term asian as in the race. for example, people from mid-east are considered caucasians although they are technically from the asia continent.

argh,,, i think i just confused myself. is there a separate word to distinguish between the two "asian" terms?

WHO AINT A CRACKAH!?

bahahahah

No more alcohol for me I think... I'm glad this set of boards was the last one I decided to terrorize in my state of intoxication.

asian, as person from that geographic region, maybe. but he was referring to the term asian as in the race.

Race distinctions are mostly arbitrary anyway. I somewhat doubt that most native Japanese, Chinese, and Korean people consider themselves as being a single race.

for example, people from mid-east are considered caucasians although they are technically from the asia continent.

"Caucasian" is a throwback from an obsolete system of racial classifications. Geographically, it refers to people from the Caucasus region, which is in eastern Europe. The current American practice of using it as a synonym for "white" (I've not seen this use elsewhere, anyone else in English-speaking countries know if it's used worldwide?) baffles me, particularly after reading this usage note on "race" from (oddly enough) the American Heritage Dictionary at dictionary.com:

"The notion of race is nearly as problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populations--Caucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoid--are now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean “white” or “European” rather than “belonging to the Caucasian race,” a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other points--such as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in another--many cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact."

"argh,,, i think i just confused myself. is there a separate word to distinguish between the two "asian" terms?"

The only term that refers specifically to race that I'm aware of is "Mongoloid", which is from the aforementioned obsolete system and may well be considered offensive.

Quote: from Cynnamin on 3:08 am on Mar. 2, 2002

whilst rooting around on my hdd, i found this really good picture of me so im going to post it... :)

http://www.mindspring.com/~cynnamin/cynnibw.jpg

*hides*

Oh yea, that really IS me. I'm wondering how many of you are going to say that it isn't.

(Edited by Cynnamin at 3:11 am on Mar. 2, 2002)

Strange.....

My camera ain't working, so I 's'pose yous can see my desktop which has my picture in the system properties.

http://www.geocities.com/palegreenpillow/images/Untitled-1.txt

Kinda funny... :)

Well Since everybody double posted them, I'll follow

Artemio.gif

and for the real one: (though a year or two old)

http://junkerhq.net/img/nArtemio.jpg

Sigh I miss my glasses, now I have to wear these %/&%$$&% contacts...

BTW Cynn, you look interesting, but not much can be seen in the picture.. were you falling asleep?

(Edited by Artemio Urbina at 1:26 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

(Edited by Artemio Urbina at 1:27 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

I bet if I suggest orgies with a sonic theme again here, ice will delete this thread too.

just when we were so close to having enough hot girls for one.. ah well.

might as well add mine.

it's half a year old, and for some reason the only time my webcam actually produced a clear, bright picture (instead of blurry crap with lots of funny dots):

Arakon.jpg

Back