So, anyone get Soul Calibur II?

Shitface

Established Member
I got it in the mail the day after it came out. Came with a free T-shirt but i don't think you'll catch me wearing an XL pink Ivy shirt to school. Other than that, the game is pretty cool. I ordered the Xbox version because of spawn. I was hoping for a Medieval Spawn costume but no luck. Anyways. Has anyone else picked it up? What was your impression?

Another peice of tidbit. I don't remember where but my friend told me that they had a compitition a while back for the Soul Calibur on DC. It was to see who could beat the game in the weirdest way. The winner played it on the hardest setting and never died using a DC fishing real to play! I remember trying to play Virtua Fighter 4 with my DDR pads. Fun stuff when your fighting your friends that way.

I got it, and its awesome, I got the xbox version and it is soooooooooooo sweet, that game is so beautiful, and they kept it true to the dc version.. nice way to go namco...

:agree

Originally posted by Shitface@Aug 31, 2003 @ 08:19 AM

The winner played it on the hardest setting and never died using a DC fishing real to play!

That isn't half of it.

In fact, he didn't even use the fishing controller's buttons. Just horizontal and vertical swings. He did use four continues, but he DID win.

Anyway, Spawn sucks, he may be cool but he's just another Astaroth/Rock/Necrid.

Conversely, Heihachi is retarded but he's unique and actually horrifyingly broken in the hands of a Tekken 4 nut (can we say 11-hit combo leading to an unavoidable ring out in ~7 seconds?).

Link is the best though. GC rules! :D

I opted for Fzero GX this week. Simply because I'm not into fighters in the vein of VF, SC, Tekken etc. I'm not very good at them...but would anyone reccomend it to a non-fighter fan?

I went to GameStop today to pick a couple PoS2 games, and there were lines at the console displays just to play Soul Calibur II! PoS2, XBox, and GC versions! I was just like "Pffft, Virtua Fighter is so much better," There more people in line for the XBox version than that of the PoS2 and GC versions. I was shocked. I was expecting lines for the PoS2 (since everyone I know is PoS2 Drone/Slave), and GC versions (since EVERYONE (even PoS2 fanboys) love Link)). Not to say I exepcting lines to begin with, but since there were, you would expect lines at the PoS2 and GamCube versions. I walked out of there, mentally laughing at all of them "Play a REAL fighting game like VF!" "Button-mashers are for sissies!"

And yes, I HAVE played Soul Calibur II. I may buy it whenever I get a GameCube (for Link), but VF always has, and will always be my game.

Actually, I think Soul Calibur/2 is overrated crap. It's just pure flash and pretty.

Fancy moves with easy controls. That's it. Tekken with weapons.

I already basically have the game for DC.

SoulCalibur is hardly a button masher. When you get two skilled players fighting, there's as much 'mind gaming' going on as there is actual fighting.

Or at least, much more so than any VF2 game I've seen or played.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Aug 31, 2003 @ 04:06 PM

Anyway, Spawn sucks, he may be cool but he's just another Astaroth/Rock/Necrid.

:flamethrower: BOOO!!!! Spawn is far from Astaroth! As is Necrid. I don't really like Necrid though. I know, I know, its your opinion.... but im a hardcore Spawn fan so i had to go with Spawn. Though i do think Medieval Spawn would have fit into the SC scene mutch better.

I am far from a spawn fan, but having compared the three (link, spawn, and heiachi, sorry spelling) I can say hands down, that spawn is the best and kicks some major ass... he has some fucked up moves in this game, I could go on forever, but he kicks ass, I will leave it at that...lol :agree

Originally posted by cww80@Aug 31, 2003 @ 08:19 PM

Actually, I think Soul Calibur/2 is overrated crap. It's just pure flash and pretty.

Fancy moves with easy controls. That's it. Tekken with weapons.

I already basically have the game for DC.

:agree :agree :agree

Well, I enjoyed my demo for it somewhat. Still too fast, and too button masher friendly for my tastes (I prefer the slowed down, strategic approach that VF gives me), but I am considering getting it for GC for Link (that is.. if I EVER get a job to buy a GameCube, or I can make my friend buy me one, which is the way I got my PoS2 :devil ).

Besides I'd rather play the DC version (which I have yet to play AT ALL, let alone own). Why? Sega Console! :) ;) :cool: :lol: :D :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Damn, I LOVE that bowing emoticon :smokin: :bow

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Sep 1, 2003 @ 02:32 AM

SoulCalibur is hardly a button masher. When you get two skilled players fighting, there's as much 'mind gaming' going on as there is actual fighting.

Or at least, much more so than any VF2 game I've seen or played.

You should see the amount of 'mind gaming' going on between good players of VF4.

I'll most likely get SC2 in the future when I have the money as I'm a big fighting game fan, but I still think its overrated.

Once I had unlocked everything in the original, I never played it much again. With VF I barely stop playing.

tekken w/ weapons? nah...I can't even play tekken it sux so bad. It's one of the best 3d fighters, virtua fighter (sum of em) are one of the best also. I perfer the 2d fighters myself :)

i picked up the xbox version of sc 2, and i was disappointed, ok, so theres some more players, and a bunch of unlockables, but i dont think its that different from the dc version ( i didnt like the dc version either, mostly because my controller buttons are reversed, long story....)

I think that virtua fighter 4 evo is my favorite fighter, and for half the price of soul calibur, u cant go wrong

Well, if your expecting a big jump from the previous version, like from Soul Edge to Soul Calibure, then you will be dissapointed. Its more of a upgrade in my opinion. But still a great game nontheless.

it is a great game, and IMO a huge jump (not graphically) from the first in terms of even more modes of gameplay, and more characters, heck I think its well worth the price of admission... but I would at least recommend renting it, to see if you get hooked.

:agree

I saw the one for the GC's commercial advertising Link as the special character and all i can say is thank god they didn't use the new pussified Link. This will be one of my first purchases when i get an Xbox just because Spawn is sooo cool. Btw i can't remember is SC2, Live compatible? If it is maybe they will add the medevil Spawn outfit :).

Back