Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Translating Dracula X / SOTN Beta V1.02 1.021

Interesting. While we are here talking about inprovements, do you think it would be possible to: 1- restoring the wolf swim ability and 2- implement the mist in the Outer Wall, but a proper half transparent effect like the one use in games like Grandia, Albert Odyssey etc?
Wolf swimming ability. Never looked into if the sprites still exist on it. Does anybody even use it lol. Possible yes, worth my time to look into it? Maybe not in the near future.

Outer wall mist. Possible yes, but see the wolf comment.

This sucker is refusing to use this Richter portrait which is a lot better than the horrible one he used.
For Malachi and Ctuhlu the solution is simple: just exchange both names, but he is not seeing the problem.
And we thought Working Designs improvements were a messo_O
Again I fail to see how using Konami's official localization names and changing Richter's portrait for 1 scene is a mess...

Second attempt, this one took a bit longer.

I know it's not in profile, but neither is Maria so...

Attachments

• RichterDX2.png
    RichterDX2.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 149
The game is not slow because of the hardware, the game is slow because of poorly written software. It is a matter of identifying where the slowdown occurs. I already know one thing that slows it down is how the game checks for cut scenes. It is continuously checking a huge statement on the update cycle, which can be moved out and replaced with a stub.

This is some far out wizardry! I dont know what you just said but I like it.

This sucker is refusing to use this Richter portrait which is a lot better than the horrible one he used.
For Malachi and Ctuhlu the solution is simple: just exchange both names, but he is not seeing the problem.
You're trying too hard now dude.

I applied the last patch and I used beetle saturn and kronos. All had the same problem:
. Alucard's name on menu has some red dots;
. I can't go on some places that I marked on red circles on the image below, the screen goes black and the music stops:
dracula01.jpg

Maybe I made a mistake when patching (there was no error message), or is it the emulators I'm using?

And we thought Working Designs improvements were a mess
I highly doubt this has anything to do with Richter's Portrait considering that file isn't even being loaded in at that point.

Bugs happen and are quite common with patches in development. Do you know how many times I had to fix Grandia crashing with the translation patch?

Secondly the areas circled are areas where the game goes to load more data off the disc. So it could be an issue with the overall patched image or the emulator.

Last edited:
I applied the 1.02 patch and had freezing at the exact same spot everytime last night. I was playing on real hardware with a Phoebe ODE. The game would freeze everytime I killed the first skeleton tossing bones right after the doppelganger boss fight in the other wall area. It froze 3 times in a row while playing as Alucard, then I tried as Maria and it froze at the exact spot when killing that skeleton I'm the outer wall area right before the entrance to the library.

This is a known issue with patch 1.02 real hardware and/or emulation o_O
Not necessarily, it could be with how it's being played (Emulator, ODE, etc.). These issues all have one thing in common, it crashes when the game goes to load data off the disc. Yet it's not at the same spot as one person is having it happen when trying to get into the library yet the other person's map shows they were already at the library and not having the issue at that spot.

I applied the 1.02 patch and had freezing at the exact same spot everytime last night. I was playing on real hardware with a Phoebe ODE. The game would freeze everytime I killed the first skeleton tossing bones right after the doppelganger boss fight in the other wall area. It froze 3 times in a row while playing as Alucard, then I tried as Maria and it froze at the exact spot when killing that skeleton I'm the outer wall area right before the entrance to the library.
I had this same problem at that skeleton. I just forgot to report. I was able to get past this skeleton by rewinding the crash and eventually going further.

Si vous étiez un ananas, vous seriez un ananas aigre.

If you can get me a save of it freezing, that would be helpful.
Here it is. I saved at the outer wall area, you'll need to get down the elevator. The skeleton is the one next to the library.

I added the save at royal chapel so you can test if the game hangs at the spot I marked here at page 13.

This is an emulator save, and you'll need to rename it to the same name as the game. Hope it helps, and thanks for the translation, had a great time with it!

Oh, and as I mentioned, Alucard's name has some strange red dots on the start menu.

Attachments

• saves.7z
    1.5 KB · Views: 131
Here it is. I saved at the outer wall area, you'll need to get down the elevator. The skeleton is the one next to the library.

I added the save at royal chapel so you can test if the game hangs at the spot I marked here at page 13.

This is an emulator save, and you'll need to rename it to the same name as the game. Hope it helps, and thanks for the translation, had a great time with it!
Awesome, thanks. I have a tool on here that converts to other emulators, so I can see where it is going wrong. It is an odd spot to break as the outerwall contains no story elements that I know of.

Oh, and as I mentioned, Alucard's name has some strange red dots on the start menu.
OK, there was a bad merge that places the line of code that fixed the underground cavern line into the outer wall. Here is a fix. Let me know if you experience any issues.

Attachments

• DRACULA-X.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Back