Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Yeah I just got a save close to there with Digital Museum and saw the issue, and saw it's also there in the original Japanese version:

NnTNl2z.png

5XUQaVk.png

Though on Mednafen it doesn't seem to be as pronounced. So I'm going to say this was an existing bug in the game for now. I'm guessing it's some kind of issue with VDP2 not fully clearing out data for the mist effect.

Though I did notice some of the camera movements and scripting in the "no brakes" scene on the train seemed a little off. Though not as bad as the one in the Twin Towers, I'll still need to take a look at it at some point.

Also that issue on the save screen where it just says "D1" instead of "CD1", please report all of those you see. It's a really easy thing to fix, I just need to be aware of where they happen.

Last edited:
Just learned of this patch today, am now running disc1 in english on my Saturn through the phoebe ODE.
It's running like a dream so far, wanted to give massive thanks for your efforts! Didn't expect this game to ever become playable in English on the Saturn.

Reactions: vbt
Yeah I just got a save close to there with Digital Museum and saw the issue, and saw it's also there in the original Japanese version:

NnTNl2z.png

5XUQaVk.png

Though on Mednafen it doesn't seem to be as pronounced. So I'm going to say this was an existing bug in the game for now. I'm guessing it's some kind of issue with VDP2 not fully clearing out data for the mist effect.

Though I did notice some of the camera movements and scripting in the "no brakes" scene on the train seemed a little off. Though not as bad as the one in the Twin Towers, I'll still need to take a look at it at some point.

Also that issue on the save screen where it just says "D1" instead of "CD1", please report all of those you see. It's a really easy thing to fix, I just need to be aware of where they happen.
About the D1 bugs, I've only seen those with saves inside the Luc Village.

hey, when you first the tower of doom you meet a new boss woman after talking it should trigger into a fight with the woman but the game is just hanging instead of going into the battle. the nearest save point I can get you is in the village inn before it which is cafu village. I have give it a go three times and the same thing has happened each time so it doesn't appear to be a one off. I have attached the pics for nearest save point. hope this helps and keep up the great work, thank you.

Attachments

• scenario flag.jpg
    scenario flag.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • map status.jpg
    map status.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 144
hey, when you first the tower of doom you meet a new boss woman after talking it should trigger into a fight with the woman but the game is just hanging instead of going into the battle. the nearest save point I can get you is in the village inn before it which is cafu village. I have give it a go three times and the same thing has happened each time so it doesn't appear to be a one off. I have attached the pics for nearest save point. hope this helps and keep up the great work, thank you.

Ok, I'll look into it tonight after work. I'm guessing it's the usual botched control code.

EDIT:
Also just to be clear, is this boss woman you're talking about Milda? The one that happens at the beginning of this video?:

Last edited:
Yes that is the boss woman I was talking about milda. I didn't realise there was a save point right there before the fight, that will make it easier for you to check.

Ok, I have two new patches.

Disc 1 0.61:
This fixes the bug in the magic shop where Bolt was listed twice. It also fixes errors in the save screen for Luc Village and Dight Inn where the C in CD1 was missing.

Disc 2 0.51:
This fixes the hangup when encountering Milda. It also applies the fix for the magic shop where Bolt was listed Twice. The Save screen text for Virgin Forest and the Spirit Sanctuary is also fixed where the C in CD2 was missing.

As usual, please continue to post any issues you have. No matter how minor they may seem.

Also if you can please list any points where the voice audio seems out of sync or the camera movements seem odd. Again no matter how minor it is, if it's off it's off and it will need to be fixed. For these it would be best to report them on my Github as issues:

This way I can keep track of them and fix them when I have time.

Attachments

• SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.51.zip
    856.5 KB · Views: 186
  • SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.61.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Great work on the updates. Yes, I have noticed some voice sync issues were the voices are ahead of the speech. I will do a list of were I have noticed them. I have been exploring each area in detail and also talking to everyone I see so any minor issues I see i will also post on them as well. Keep up the fantastic work and thank you.

Hello,

thanks for your great work.

I patched now CD1. I extracted the Files and patched then as you mentioned in your readme. But what do i have to do to play it on real hardware?

When i use your cue file and burn then the ISO and WAV File. the Saturn won`t load the game.

So do i have first build a new BIN File?

How do i do that?

The patch doesn't change the region at this point. So you'll either need a way to play Japanese games or you'll need to patch the region of the iso.

And you need a modchip or pseudo saturn to run CDR.
@TrekkiesUnite118 I've found a new CD1 save error, in the volcano mountain.

Also, the cutscene after the Typhoon Tower colapse have texts and voices out of synch, maybe you already know, just reporting.

And you need a modchip or pseudo saturn to run CDR.
@TrekkiesUnite118 I've found a new CD1 save error, in the volcano mountain.

Also, the cutscene after the Typhoon Tower colapse have texts and voices out of synch, maybe you already know, just reporting.

Ok, I have the Volcano one fixed. Is the Dight Inn still doing that? Or is that an old save in your screenshot? As that one should be fixed.

Also I've started adding issues for all the voice synchronization issues I know of for Disc 1:

I'm sure there's more than that, so if you have a github account go a head and submit any others that you know of.

Last edited:
Ok, I have the Volcano one fixed. Is the Dight Inn still doing that? Or is that an old save in your screenshot? As that one should be fixed.

Also I've started adding issues for all the voice synchronization issues I know of for Disc 1:

I'm sure there's more than that, so if you have a github account go a head and submit any others that you know of.
No, the Dight one is fine, it's an old save and I'm still using the previous patch ver.

Hello everyone and a huge thanks to TrekkiesUnite118. This project is nothing short of amazing! I saw this japanese character while being in Gantz home:

Attachments

• 20190817_180426.jpg
    20190817_180426.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
I noticed a bug, but I don't know if it's translation related. I went into the optional Soldier's Graveyard dungeon and after beating the boss I found the Energy Charm in the next room. After exploring the dungeon some more I checked a guide before exiting to see if I had missed anything important. I noticed that I missed some of the Soldier's Spirits among other things. According to the guide getting the Energy Charm without the Soldier's Spirits should be impossible because the pedestal with the chest containing it should be raised without all of the spirits. In my case it wasn't raised however. Sadly by the time I realised the bug I had already overwritten the save game, so I couldn't check what happens in the Japanese version. Maybe someone else can check when they get to this point.

Great progress. :)

Anyone have an SSF/Mednafen save with everything in the second map screen available they could upload (so basically all locations in the map screen that includes feena's house, before you get cut off by climbing the wall)? Would like to have a look around.

Last edited:
I have new things to report.
When you use an item on the "got item screen", there are several japanese texts in the equipment window:

I think it should be isle, not islet:

An extra "were" word before "two":

Ah, I had a weird bug. After Gadwin leaving the party, I entered his house to save my game and now the hours digits vanished forever from the save screen. I saved several times on different slots, on console and cartridge but it's still missing.

Last edited:
I have new things to report.
When you use an item on the "got item screen", there are several japanese texts in the equipment window:

Huh, I wonder if it's always been like that and no one noticed. I'll look in to it.

I think it should be isle, not islet:

Islet is the correct word here. It's what's used in the PS1 version and the word means small island.

An extra "were" word before "two":

Looks like another odd issue with the PS1 script. It's not the first or the worst I've seen.

Ah, I had a weird bug. After Gadwin leaving the party, I entered his house to save my game and now the hours digits vanished forever from the save screen. I saved several times on different slots, on console and cartridge but it's still missing.

Now that's odd. Does it still remain after reloading the save screen? Does the issue happen with a Japanese disc?

Back