Dracula X Extended mod patch by paul_met

Please tell me how you did this. I was told once a game is patched it can not be repatched. maybe that only goes for lines of code??? and not the files in the ISO. I plan on learning to use a hex editor to put the psx voice in it. if you have any other tips more than what Paul was such a great person to tell me. please help me out. not asking for a full walk through. but just a overview of steps I need to use. like what hex editors and any other programs. far as the text being to long or short. I know my way around audio editing, and willing to try to make it work. any details would be a god sent to me. and maybe a youtube video if you know of one that works with the same kind of audio replacement. I'm a total newb with hex editing. I'm assuming save edits are the same as hex editing in new audio? I seen a lot of video's on that. anyway you and Paul have gave me hope of having the greatest version of NITM ;) thank you both.
Well, in my case I just took the audio file containing voiced dialogue (SDF0.PCM) from the original, unmodified ISO and replaced it in the patched one. Literally just replaced a single file...

Finished the game and didn't find other issues. It's in a very good state already. A little correction: I said the Alucard teleport pillar has glitches, I take that back lol, those things are the squares used to act as light spheres.

One last note is about the Zweihänder, maybe it can receive the same translucency as the Crissaegrim?
2024-01-08 21.11.31-1.jpg

Hey there, the ultimate version is amazing but I was wondering if certain things could be changed/reverted as an option:

Restoring Black Bars - This has been already mentioned in this thread, just adding in that I am also interested in this as it is kinda glitchy seeing out of bounds sections of most rooms.

Restoring the Japanese Voiceovers - Keeping the PSP script with the JP audio would be cool, as it goes well with the translated Japanese title screen and as not all voices are in English yet like familiars and in-game chants.

Classic Richter - While it's cool to see Richter's evil form playable, It doesn't make much sense for him to be in that outfit in the prologue as it's a recreation of Rondo Of Blood's final boss. Maybe making it so that the Richter player mode uses the alternate costume but the prologue retains Classic Richter. (If not possible then just revert this change entirely). I am aware there is an inconsistency with the portrait and the outfit in the prologue but this is well known and a miniscule issue really.

(Dialogue) Font change - The new font looks cool but is just slightly harder to read and doesn't seem to scroll as smoothly. A simpler font similar to PS1 or PSP version would be cool.

That aside, this has been a blast to play!

Hey there, the ultimate version is amazing but I was wondering if certain things could be changed/reverted as an option:

Restoring Black Bars - This has been already mentioned in this thread, just adding in that I am also interested in this as it is kinda glitchy seeing out of bounds sections of most rooms.

Restoring the Japanese Voiceovers - Keeping the PSP script with the JP audio would be cool, as it goes well with the translated Japanese title screen and as not all voices are in English yet like familiars and in-game chants.

Classic Richter - While it's cool to see Richter's evil form playable, It doesn't make much sense for him to be in that outfit in the prologue as it's a recreation of Rondo Of Blood's final boss. Maybe making it so that the Richter player mode uses the alternate costume but the prologue retains Classic Richter. (If not possible then just revert this change entirely). I am aware there is an inconsistency with the portrait and the outfit in the prologue but this is well known and a miniscule issue really.

(Dialogue) Font change - The new font looks cool but is just slightly harder to read and doesn't seem to scroll as smoothly. A simpler font similar to PS1 or PSP version would be cool.

That aside, this has been a blast to play!

Just a note in case you weren't aware, if you hold up when selecting a character to begin the game, Richter will have his other outfit, So it's still there, it just isn't the default anymore.

Just a note in case you weren't aware, if you hold up when selecting a character to begin the game, Richter will have his other outfit, So it's still there, it just isn't the default anymore.
Yes but the issue bothering many people is Evil Richter is mandatory in the Prologue and this hurts the plot. A much better solution would be changing his portrait there, not the outfit.

That's nice, but this should be the other way round, Classic should be the default. For reasons as pointed out by others before.

Anyone else not care for Beethoven's symphonies? This is what he was thinking when writing this? To defeat Dracula in some bloodlust in a castle somewhere?

you are not going to hex edit your way into patching these games. That will only help you change value. You need to learn the machine language and how the machine works.

When it comes to the audio, it is a type of ADPCM. You can get the algorithm at vgmstream/src/meta/sat_dvi.c at 5de0d0553790d1f05437397d35560c699eaa9a2f · vgmstream/vgmstream. You also need to handle all of the pointers (It is why the person you commented on is having issues)
thank you I will read up on it and try to find out how I can do it then. but don't really get what I'm looking at. I wish it was just as easy as opening it up in an audio editing software lol but oh well I will read up on it. thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. if you could tell me what programs you use with it, and the best way of finding out what I'm looking at. thank you very much KnightOfDragon :) if anyone has any other tips as well please let me know. thank you again. I know it's troublesome to have to answer a bunch of things. if I could just find out how I can overwrite audio to the file, I could play with it till I got it right. anyway maybe it's beyond me :( anyway even if you don't reply back anymore I still thank you very much. for answering me what you did. thanks

Last edited:
Well, in my case I just took the audio file containing voiced dialogue (SDF0.PCM) from the original, unmodified ISO and replaced it in the patched one. Literally just replaced a single file...
oh yeah I guess that would be pretty easy with cdmage, since you want the original Japanese anyway and just put the old file back in. lol well glad you got the audio you wanted. even if it's a little messed up because the pointers seem to be changed. take care.

Last edited:
I figured I'd share this I did a video with some of the audio I cloned for the Japanese fan script. it has Dracula vs Richter, Alucard first meeting with Death, three Maria meetings, and the nightmare dialog, also I remade Alucard's memory of his words from his mother. my OBS studio software is freezing so played it on Emu and recorded it with my phone. so the sound isn't perfect, plus the PSP Emu has way too load sound effects IMHO. any way you can see these cloned voices enjoy and let me know what you think.

*sigh* uses the PSP versions translation.
I feel the same way, really wish we could have the PSX audio in the Saturn ultimate version, if only someone would document how they replaced the audio, so we could learn how to do it. I have the time to learn but sadly the links people have given me I don't understand sure it's missing a lot of info. oh well we have the PSX game. if it had the PSX audio I would play it over the PSX version. but can't enjoying playing it without the audio I love. that's the very reason I wanted to clone the PSX voice's so I could do a faithful Japanese Fan Translation Dub with the PSX voices. I can't get enough of the original voices.

Last edited:
^I tried to play Castlevania SOTN on the Requiem Collection for PS5 and just couldn't do it. Same here, unfortunately. If anyone manages to get the PSX voices and translation, hell even just the voiced parts with the corresponding dialogue; I am down to play it.

Since KoD's version features the PS1 script, maybe if you all mob on him or ask his help to further develop his work? This would help the projects to stay unique, one with the redub and other with the awful one you love.

well he already said he wants others to do it and said he won't be messing with it sadly. and yes, Ardiloso the PSP Dub is Awful.

@cww80 if you do want to play the PSP version with the PSX voices. I have a post on the Dungeon with the download voice files to patch into the PSP ISO. it's pretty easy. here's the link.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night voice mod psx Dub English for PSP Dracula X C

I cloned the voice parts that are missing from the original so the Dub is full. mainly all that was missing was the Maria fight.

Back