Here is a demo, which I will probably submit asis to the competition.

Attachments

• PROJECT Z-TREME SATURN COMPETITION 2020.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 323
  • unknown (1).png
    unknown (1).png
    463.6 KB · Views: 272
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    789.5 KB · Views: 285
I changed how the lighting works, I think it now looks much better/smoother overall and it now allows up to 9 light sources per vertex (1 static + 8 dynamics).
As you can see on the following video (real hardware), it runs fine despite the high amount of polygons (1000+ rendered, often 2000-3000 vertices transformed and lit when needed).

Hey, if I was to try and create some models for this, what poly count and texture size should I aim for? Can a blender model be imported? Any quirks I should know about? Any specific model requests?

Hey, if I was to try and create some models for this, what poly count and texture size should I aim for? Can a blender model be imported? Any quirks I should know about? Any specific model requests?
For 3d models (enemies, weapons, etc.) I convert them from obj files. The texture size for the models must be low, with 16 colors max. The quads are small, so except for faces and other "huge" polygons, it should be kept under 16x16.
A 64x64 texture at 4 bpp still takes 2 KB, so if a single model takes 10% of the vram, it's too much.
As the polygon count, my 3d models can have a maximum of 256 vertices, but it needs to be kept much lower to allow multiple enemies on screen. I try to keep enemies around the 100 polygons and 100 vertices mark.

This is so impressive, it's on par with or even better than the Lobotomy works.

Have you considered adding mouse support for the aim, with the analog pad for movement?

This is so impressive, it's on par with or even better than the Lobotomy works.

Have you considered adding mouse support for the aim, with the analog pad for movement?
Yeah, but it's not worth the efforts since nobody will use it. It's more kind of : "I hate using controllers for FPS, but it supports mouse+keyboard, which I don't have, so I won't complain about controls..."
I might consider it just for that

Yeah, but it's not worth the efforts since nobody will use it. It's more kind of : "I hate using controllers for FPS, but it supports mouse+keyboard, which I don't have, so I won't complain about controls..."

I have the mouse! I just don't have the keyboard adapter yet. (I plan to get one eventually for netlink shenanigans at some point).

That said, here's a couple you could try:

Mouse + Controller - Use mouse to look around/aim and shoot, jump, etc. Use Controller to move (D-Pad or using the six buttons in a WASD configuration.)
Mission Stick - Aim and Shoot with the Stick, use the buttons in a WASD set up for moving.
Dual Mission Sticks - Aim and shoot with one, move with the other.
Twin Sticks - These just get read as a standard controller as they're 100% digital, so have a setting for move with one stick, aim with the other, use the buttons and triggers for shoot, jump, etc.

R1fdEt3.gif

I would use it.

Btw I did add mouse support a few weeks back. It works well according to those who tried it on real hardware. You can use it with a gamepad, 3d pad or keyboard, as long as the mouse is in the 2nd player's spot. Of with 2 multitaps, the mouse has to be in the second multitap.
Amazing!

Here is another version of the demo, with a couple of additions. There are still some things to fix like the spawn points while in 4 players deathmatch, better save/load support, etc.
I won't have time to work on this for the next few weeks.
Few new things here : underwater gameplay+effects, doors, animated textures (vs simply scrolling), key cards, elevators, monster closets, more dynamic lights, etc.
I consider the first 2 maps nearly complete, the rest are work in progress.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Project Z-Treme 20200618.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 281
Here is another version of the demo, with a couple of additions. There are still some things to fix like the spawn points while in 4 players deathmatch, better save/load support, etc.
I won't have time to work on this for the next few weeks.
Few new things here : underwater gameplay+effects, doors, animated textures (vs simply scrolling), key cards, elevators, monster closets, more dynamic lights, etc.
I consider the first 2 maps nearly complete, the rest are work in progress.
Enjoy!
I've got 2 people who told me they couldn't get past the start screen, but they used a Fenrir. The demo works on my stock Saturn (via a usb dev cart). I haven't burned a disc to try it. Anyone played it on real hardware?

Burned CD. Works flawlessly. Very fun, very impressive too.

Boot method is PSKai without RAM or save cart.

Reactions: XL2
I did some very limited testing w/ a Fenrir XL2, I should really test more combinations to single out what made it work, but...
  • Latest "NO MUSIC" as-is froze at the Fenrir loading screen.
  • Latest "NO MUSIC", converted to MODE1/2352 bin/cue froze at the Segata Sanshiro initial screen.
  • Same MODE1/2352 bin from before, but with four music tracks and an adjusted cue...worked fine. Got in-game and played for a few minutes, only went as far as the second map before I shut it off though; didn't experience any issues.
I suspect your demo might check for those tracks at the Segata Sanshiro screen? Might have been a coincidence. For the record, my Fenrir uses the original cable and not a replacement often used to fix Fenrir issues.

I did some very limited testing w/ a Fenrir XL2, I should really test more combinations to single out what made it work, but...
  • Latest "NO MUSIC" as-is froze at the Fenrir loading screen.
  • Latest "NO MUSIC", converted to MODE1/2352 bin/cue froze at the Segata Sanshiro initial screen.
  • Same MODE1/2352 bin from before, but with four music tracks and an adjusted cue...worked fine. Got in-game and played for a few minutes, only went as far as the second map before I shut it off though; didn't experience any issues.
I suspect your demo might check for those tracks at the Segata Sanshiro screen? Might have been a coincidence. For the record, my Fenrir uses the original cable and not a replacement often used to fix Fenrir issues.
Well, the Segata screen is really just a loading screen, starting with the sound driver and cdda initizalisation.
It works fine on real hardware even with no disc inside the cd drive (usb dev cart).
I doubt the others, like Ponut, who burned the disc, also added tracks, so i guess it's really a Fenrir issue.

Last edited:
Well, the Segata screen is really just a loading screen, starting with the sound driver and cdda initizalisation.
It works fine on real hardware even with no disc inside the driver (usb dev cart).
I doubt the others, like Ponut, who burned the disc, also added tracks, so i guess it's really a Fenrir issue.

Agreed, if I get time I'll play with it some more -- I really doubt it has anything to do with your demo, but I'd be curious to know what causes the problem with Fenrir and maybe report it to Ced. Out of curiosity, how do you build your iso?

I noticed a while back in the discord KnightOfDragons commented "his old way of building the iso didn't work with Fenrir but his new way did", maybe I'll have to poke him to see what that's about.

Back