Ninpen Manmaru English Patch

Ninpen Manmaru English Patched? 2022-01-21

IEcZkQR.png

This batch file not having it! I crunched the Redump into a single ISO now it's what filename does it want

Any reason this is not on ROMhacking? There is one and it claims completion and it's dated 2001

What I had to do to make this work was a bit involved. I took the redump CUE+Multi-BIN and loaded that CUE into IsoBuster. Then, I right-clicked on "Session 1" on the left-hand panel, selected "Extract Session 1" and then "Extract User Data (*.iso)".

This left with me an ISO and two WAVs. I then took the "Track 01.iso" file, renamed it to "disc.iso" (the patcher .bat doesn't like files with spaces in the name) and copied it to the root of the patch folder. Running the .bat produced a message saying "Unexpected end of archive" and "patch on my own risk". So, I did.

The final piece was to take that new patched ISO, combine it with the WAVs, and create a new CUE. So, I created a new folder, dropped the patched "disc.iso" file in there along with the "Track 02.wav" and "Track 03.wav" files and put my CUE together based on the original redump CUE. It is as follows:

FILE "disc.iso" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Track 02.wav" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 00 00:00:00
INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Track 03.wav" WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 00 00:00:00
INDEX 01 00:02:00

As of right now, I've been playing for over an hour with no issues using MODE.

Also -- THANK YOU! This is a huge improvement over the existing translation patch.

Here is a version you can use with my patcher, no need for anything complex.
Does this work with the redump bin/cue? Just tried and it crashed multiple times using your patcher. I am running windows 10 virtual machine so that *may* be the case, but the lunar sss patch seemed to be ok, havent played it yet though.

Does this work with the redump bin/cue? Just tried and it crashed multiple times using your patcher. I am running windows 10 virtual machine so that *may* be the case, but the lunar sss patch seemed to be ok, havent played it yet though.
should work with any valid cue

try with version 1.0? maybe my backwards compatibility is off

edit:
Just confirmed backwards compatibility is off on this patch

Uhhh, damn underscores in the file name

Last edited:
Was anyone able to get the ending text to display properly without crashing the game?

I was going to redo the game's logo more "in spirit" of the original, but ran into trouble when I got ambitious and decided to change sprite position on screen.
It's been so long, I forgot whether or not I edited all in-game graphical assets.

EDIT: I've been trying to apply Knight0fDragon's patch to the game, but it keeps silently failing. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This problem appears to only happen with this patch, as other game patches worked fine.

Last edited:
Was anyone able to get the ending text to display properly without crashing the game?

I was going to redo the game's logo more "in spirit" of the original, but ran into trouble when I got ambitious and decided to change sprite position on screen.
It's been so long, I forgot whether or not I edited all in-game graphical assets.

EDIT: I've been trying to apply Knight0fDragon's patch to the game, but it keeps silently failing. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This problem appears to only happen with this patch, as other game patches worked fine.
what version are you on? Silent crashing usually happens because of permission issues with the OS.

I've started on version 1.91, and worked my way back about 3 versions just in case. Restarted PC several times, moved patcher and file folders to root directory, ran patcher as administrator, verified that the game image I have is intact (it's the same image I used to make my patches). Nothing helps - just as I tell it to save a .bin image the "working" animation starts, then the program freezes and exits. Meanwhile, it applied patches to other games just fine.

EDIT:
Okay, weird!
Just got it to work with a different file image. The original one I was trying to patch was a .Bin/.Cue with internal audio tracks. Once I broke out the audio tracks, it worked.

Scratch that - it only worked when I tried to patch my already-patched version, resulting in all localized art being corrupted. It fails when: trying to patch a disk in drive, a ISO/CUE version with external audio tracks, and a BIN/CUE version with internal audio tracks.

Crashed with any of the versions I had, including a burned disk, but worked just fine with the Redump image.

Last edited:
Give SSP v1.95 a try, it's included with the Wachenröder entry in the Sega Saturn 27th Anniversary Game Competition: SEGA Saturn 27th Anniversary Game Competition

The patch works fine for me with v1.95 + the Redump rip of the game.

Nope. As you can see in the attached picture, cutscene text is stored as Shift JIS. Perhaps there's a formatting issue somewhere?

Attachments

• ninpen.png
    ninpen.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I've started on version 1.91, and worked my way back about 3 versions just in case. Restarted PC several times, moved patcher and file folders to root directory, ran patcher as administrator, verified that the game image I have is intact (it's the same image I used to make my patches). Nothing helps - just as I tell it to save a .bin image the "working" animation starts, then the program freezes and exits. Meanwhile, it applied patches to other games just fine.

EDIT:
Okay, weird!
Just got it to work with a different file image. The original one I was trying to patch was a .Bin/.Cue with internal audio tracks. Once I broke out the audio tracks, it worked.

Scratch that - it only worked when I tried to patch my already-patched version, resulting in all localized art being corrupted. It fails when: trying to patch a disk in drive, a ISO/CUE version with external audio tracks, and a BIN/CUE version with internal audio tracks.

Crashed with any of the versions I had, including a burned disk, but worked just fine with the Redump image.
ok, could you send me a PM with a way to download this version. It sounds like something is incorrectly aligned and I am reading beyond what is available.

Here's an updated patch; it's the same as the one Knight posted except the ending text (ED1.TXT) does not get modified in the patched image. This allows the ending to play, albeit in Japanese.

Attachments

• Ninpen Manmaru (English).zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 206
Haha, just goes to show that I never beat the game! I had no idea the latest version of this patch crashed during the ending.

Hope to see it fixed, because I know I'll beat it one day :)

Haha, just goes to show that I never beat the game! I had no idea the latest version of this patch crashed during the ending.

Hope to see it fixed, because I know I'll beat it one day :)
The reason the ending remains broken is because I could never beat the damn game to debug it. Maybe I can edit the save file or something: )

The reason the ending remains broken is because I could never beat the damn game to debug it. Maybe I can edit the save file or something: )
The final stage is quite tricky! I can provide a Mednafen save state just before the ending, if that would help you out.

Back