Screeen resolution hacks

I'll delete that, and it will be fine.

Attachments

• oasis.png
    oasis.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 108
Hello, I want to make a suggestion in case someone with the necessary knowledge wants to do it.

I use Saturn with an OSSC, the OSSC lacks a framebuffer and therefore stays on the black screen for a few seconds when the game has resolution changes. This can cause the signal to be completely lost, forcing you to reset the console.

Specifically, it's happening to me with Die Hard Arcade, but I imagine it will happen with many other games.

So my suggestion is, could these games be hacked to have a constant resolution even if it's 320x240?

Thank you for your attention.

Hello, I want to make a suggestion in case someone with the necessary knowledge wants to do it.

I use Saturn with an OSSC, the OSSC lacks a framebuffer and therefore stays on the black screen for a few seconds when the game has resolution changes. This can cause the signal to be completely lost, forcing you to reset the console.

Specifically, it's happening to me with Die Hard Arcade, but I imagine it will happen with many other games.

So my suggestion is, could these games be hacked to have a constant resolution even if it's 320x240?

The lack of a framebuffer isn't the issue. The OSSC just isn't fast enough at handling resolution switching. You'd need something like a Retrotink 5X. They're quite expensive, however.

The feasibility of such a hack is going to vary because games can switch vertical res for various reasons and preventing the resolution changes may cause issues.

Fortunately, Die hard arcade can be forced to a constant vertical resolution without causing trouble. I hope that you have a mean to use Action Replay codes because that's how I got it to behave :
  • The master code is the same for the 3 regions, it's the default one on my Action replay plus :
    F6000914 C305
    B6002800 0000
  • US version cheat code :
    1601C254 0011
  • Japanese version cheat code :
    1601C240 0011
  • European version cheat code :
    1601C26C 0021
    16007A2E CB20
    16025720 CB20
All 3 regions codes change a value that contains the bits for the vertical resolution in VDP2's TV screen mode register (bits 4 and 5 at address 25F80000) at the beginning of the black screen between the fade in and fade out. The original 0x0001 value temporarily sets the vertical resolution to 224 lines instead of 240 in the NTSC versions, or 256 in the PAL version.

The PAL code has 2 additional changes because there are 2 parts where its resolution decreases to 240, causing OSSC desynchronizations : Deep scan and the end credits. With the code, Deep scan gets offset up by 8 pixels without causing any visibility issue because there's a border at the top of the screen in the 256 vertical res. The end credits are not only offset up likewise, but the visible area gets extended at the bottom. Here's how it looks :

Back