The Star Wars Trilogy DVD Set

Cloud121

Established Member
Well... The long awaited DVD release of The Star Wars Trilogy was released today. They changed some things around again.

Here goes....

A New Hope:

• Greedo shoots first, as he did in the altered 1997 special edition, but he and Han Solo's shots come closer together, and Han's movement is more natural.

• Jabba the Hutt has been reanimated to match his appearance in "The Phantom Menace." (His appearance in "Return of the Jedi" is unaltered.)

• Lightsaber colors are brighter to match the later films.

Empire Strikes Back:

• Boba Fett's voice has been redubbed with Temuera Morrison, the actor who played Jango Fett in "Attack of the Clones."

• Luke's scream during his fall at the end of the film, added in 1997, has been removed.

• The actress who played the Emperor - yes, it was a woman behind that heavy makeup, although a man did the voice - has been replaced with Ian McDiarmid, who has played the Emperor in the other films.

Return of The Jedi:

• Actor Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows have been removed, presumably because of Anakin Skywalker's injuries in "Episode III."

• Naboo has been added to the planets celebrating at the film's end, and the Jedi temple is now visible on Coruscant's skyline.

• The ghost of Anakin Skywalker has been changed from Sebastian Shaw to Hayden Christensen. :eek:mg: :puke:

That last one... Oh man.... Don't even get me started...

The bonus disc contains the 21/2-hour documentary "Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy," "The Birth of the Lightsaber," "The Force Is With Them: The Legacy of Star Wars" and "The Characters of Star Wars." There is also an "Episode III" preview and a playable "Star Wars Battlefront" video game preview.

I'll stick with my VHS version for now...

The biggest thing I wanted was deleted scenes. Perhaps in another release, though.

And I agree with you about the ghost issue :angry:. If it ain't broke...

The more I hear about all the dumb crap that has been changed the more I'm glad I have the original VHS versions and Laserdisc rips of the original versions. The complaints about all the changes are admittedly common, but are entirely valid.

As much as I prefer the originals (pre SE and now DVD versions) I've bought the DVDs anyway.

From IMDb:

I've just finished downloading what has to be the best kick in the guts ever for Lucas. Some fan has re-edited the recent DVD special edition with original scenes from the laser-disk versions of the original movie.

So now we have the special edition with parts like greedo shooting first removed and replaced with almost DVD quality original scenes. But with the cleaned up and and inserted deleted scenes from the special edition!.

It's bloody brilliant! But its only the first disk so far.. it should be on most torrents by now. I can't wait to see the rest. It's damn pitty Lucas didn't do this himself but I suppose he pissed off a few too many fans and its come around to kick him in the nuts.

:thumbs-up:

Well, see, the US economy kinda sucks right now, so it's only fair that they charge us more.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

Humph. Well I for one enjoy being gouged raw by the industry. I especially like it when they charge an exorbitant amount of money for stuff that aired on television. That's the good stuff.

Just remember... We're talking about THREE movies! Figure the normal price for a movie DVD is $19.99, times three, and you get sixty bucks. So $42.87 (as it is at my local Wal-Mart) isn't a horrible price.

Of course, I'm waiting until 2007 when Lucas releases the 30th Anniversary Box Set with all six movies, the Clone Wars cartoons, the deleted scenes hinted at in the documentary, and a shitload more special features than is in this version. If we're lucky, they might even make an extra-special version with both Ewok movies, the Star Wars Christmas Special, and the Droids and Ewoks animated series. And if we're truly blessed, Lucas will include an option to watch the original trilogy in either the "classic" or "final" versions. Come to think of it, he added scenes to both Episodes 1 and 2 when they came out on DVD as well...

But yeah, I'm waiting until 2007.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Sep 23, 2004 @ 04:46 PM

If we're lucky, they might even make an extra-special version with both Ewok movies, the Star Wars Christmas Special, and the Droids and Ewoks animated series. 

If we're lucky? :lol: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Have you seen it? I saw the Holiday Special only a few weeks ago and I've never seen anything like it before and dearly hope never to see anything like it again.

Don't get me wrong, I love the first three Star Wars films, but that thing is a travesty.

And if we're truly blessed, Lucas will include an option to watch the original trilogy in either the "classic" or "final" versions.

I think that's probably a case of "over Lucas' dead body". :(

He said in a recent interview that the "original" trilogy doesn't exist to him any more - he doesn't even like the old movies.

What he's released now are his vision and I gather that's the end of the matter. At least, until he sees the dollar signs. ;)

Back