1st Change at SX

jim: There's a very big key located to the right side of the main part of your keyboard. It's just to the right of the ] ' \ keys and just below BACKSPACE. If you look closely it might say something like ENTER or RETURN.

It would really make the task of reading your messages a bit easier if you would periodically mash that key every few sentences.

Originally posted by jim993@July 11 2002,16:05

i wonder if its because companies that made dreamcast games are still bringing in some revenue from the selling of dreamcast games(i don't know if campcom and all the other companies are still selling dreamcast games off of their site i remember campcom dropped all their dreamcast games to 19.99). here's my thinking(note i never owned a ss and never will and will probably never play a ss game in my life) in the us and canada new games for the saturn stopped being sold a long time ago, now the revenue that a company actually got(i'm talking the makers of the game) stopped coming in for most of those games years ago(note the word most since there are lines of games that are still around so on a technicality they still make money off the games eg. resident evil). now sure there may be many stores that sell brand new fresh in the package never been touched non broken in cherry in tack virgin copies of barkleys shut up and jam(insert a ss game) the makers of barkleys shut up and jam do not make any money off of it. hell i could have bought a stack of some lame ass saturn game for 5 dollars a piece when nobody wanted them off of a store then sold them for 10 dollars a piece and that sale didn't affect the makers of that game at all. (this is the point that i realize i'm damn tired and i brake into a long meaning less ramble that goes nowhere and people that read this already understand my point and will probably reiterate what i've said in a more understandable manner). wooooowhoooo i just bought a 100 dollar version of shinning force 3 wooowhoooooo sega doesn't give a shit that i spent 100 dollars on that game since they already made their money off of it when they sold it to what ever store carried it. see what i'm getting at that's my theory but it's a convaluted theory that's filled with ramblings.

editorial i should have wrote this up faster and made more mistakes because now it seems like a pointless post

Yes, I think that was the point I was trying to make in my own post. I tend to define what is copyrighted by what is still being developed and sold new. It would not surprise me if corporate giants held a similar view - "if we are not making money from it, why bother to spend money on legal fees to prosecute those who distribute our valueless material?"

Clearly the DC still has some commercial life in it - can anyone tell me when Ikaruga is being released?

I hate to tell you this, but to my knowledge, every electronic videogame that was patented/copyrighted is still copyrighted. Micky Mouse made sure of this for them.

As for companies going after people, it usually depends on how widespread it is. Nintendo went after people because of the rampant piracy. Sega's newer consoles haven't been as popular and are cd based, meaning that the piracy is rather low-key for them. Existant, but not busting at the seems.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@July 11 2002,16:24

I hate to tell you this, but to my knowledge, every electronic videogame that was patented/copyrighted is still copyrighted. Micky Mouse made sure of this for them.

As for companies going after people, it usually depends on how widespread it is. Nintendo went after people because of the rampant piracy. Sega's newer consoles haven't been as popular and are cd based, meaning that the piracy is rather low-key for them. Existant, but not busting at the seems.

Oh yes, I realise that technically all games are still copyrighted (although Pong would probably be coming near the end of it's lease), but what I'm saying is that in a commercial world, it makes absolutly no sense to spend hundereds of thousands of dollars protecting assets that are essentially worthless. The laws of copyright are many years old and are hard to justify in our current "use it and loose it" society.

Of course Nintendo's actions to stop piracy sort of throws that out the window, but I put that down to Nintendo being very Japanese about the whole issue (y'know, saving face and the whole deal).
smile.gif

Pillaged from Copyrights and wrongs
For the most part, your copyrighted work is protected for your lifetime plus 50 years. That's the general rule for work created on or after January 1, 1978.

Works created before January 1, 1978, are subject to different rules. If the owner of one of those older copyrights does everything right, the total length of copyright protection is 75 years from the date the copyright was obtained.

If the work is anonymous or pseudonymous, or was done as work made for hire, the protection lasts for a total of 75 years from its first publication, or 100 years from its creation, whichever is shorter. The exception: If an anonymous or pseudonymous author's identity is revealed during the term of the copyright, the term changes to the life of the author plus 50 years.

When the term of protection expires, the work goes into the public domain, which simply means copyright protection no longer applies, and no one needs permission, or must pay anything, for the right to use the work. An excellent source of safe, public-domain artwork can be found in books published by Dover books.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@July 10 2002,19:30

God, that is extremely overpriced. 40$ max for that game, if even. Buy it on ebay, it's probably cheaper.

Yea I know, I'm just pointing out that there are atleast two games you can still order from the original company that brought the game to the US. Don't know why they price it so high, but yea...

Originally posted by DBOY@July 11 2002,01:31

Pillaged from Copyrights and wrongs
For the most part, your copyrighted work is protected for your lifetime plus 50 years. That's the general rule for work created on or after January 1, 1978.

Works created before January 1, 1978, are subject to different rules. If the owner of one of those older copyrights does everything right, the total length of copyright protection is 75 years from the date the copyright was obtained.

If the work is anonymous or pseudonymous, or was done as work made for hire, the protection lasts for a total of 75 years from its first publication, or 100 years from its creation, whichever is shorter. The exception: If an anonymous or pseudonymous author's identity is revealed during the term of the copyright, the term changes to the life of the author plus 50 years.

When the term of protection expires, the work goes into the public domain, which simply means copyright protection no longer applies, and no one needs permission, or must pay anything, for the right to use the work. An excellent source of safe, public-domain artwork can be found in books published by Dover books.

Well, there is also something that is jokingly called the 'mickey mouse clause' or something to that effect, that is reffering to, whenever the copyright for mickey mouse (steamboat willy) is about to run out, the copyright laws get extended 5 or 10 years, this happened again recently, as the law used to be 70 years.

Yes, well you know the MPAA runs the USA, not the US Federal Government. I'm wondering what the term for a company run government is, one of those things I never learned in PS101.

BTW, I really hope Working Designs NEVER sells all those copies of Rayearth. That game was awful. I paid $15 used and even that was too much.

I know this is a little late in posting, but I agree, the FTPA forum was rather a waste more than anything. Just gave people the "right" to distribute their warez from their private ftp's. Glad to see that there are a' changes going on throughout the site. Gives it a new breath I'd say.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@July 11 2002,08:34

I know this is a little late in posting, but I agree, the FTPA forum was rather a waste more than anything. Just gave people the "right" to distribute their warez from their private ftp's. Glad to see that there are a' changes going on throughout the site. Gives it a new breath I'd say.

Where did you see "warez" on FTPA forum ? it was only one time and the topic was deleted...

I'm not agree with the deleting of this section ! I've sometimes informations I want to give only to admins and FTPA (like ideas of web page). I never considered this section as "warez hiden forum"...

Here's the logic:

Walk into a Toys R Us store in Cleveland fucking Ohio, USA and ask this question:

"Excuse me, but where are your Sega Saturn games?"

Clerk's response: "What's that?" or "We haven't stocked those in about five years."

Walk into a Toys R Us store in Cleveland fucking Ohio, USA and ask this question:

"Excuse me, but where are your Sega Dreamcast games?"

Clerk's response: "Right this way, sir."

Don't matter that they're out of production. We can still walk into a mainstream shopping center store and buy Dreamcast games. Everything from launch titles to final releases. Very few games are completely MIA from stores. Many titles are actualy listed as still in print, meaning the company behind them is still filling orders for them. In another 18 months or two years or so, that won't be the case. Start this argument again in July 2004, and it'll be a different story. As for Saturn and how soon ISO's were offered for SS games, just freaking drop it already. The origins of the site were small. By the time it got big, it didn't matter. The whole whopping two new releases were kept off the site. When that one classic gaming company released two new Sega CD games a year and a half ago, it was declared that they would not be made avaliable here either. Simple as that.

The only stores selling Dreamcast games in south-east Michigan (tri-county area) are GameStop/Funcoland and your specialy shops that also deal in import games. Everyone else has been out since January with no restocking.

So yet again that example really doesn't hold true for everywhere. I think people just want a more solid explanation/definition behind the reson Saturn is fair game and DC isin't.

No, I don't really have a stance on this. The only DC game I still want is the Shiren one and some day when I can spare the money I'll actually buy it.

Quick Note: Our Toys R Us on John R and Big Beaver Rd. still has about 20 new copies of Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge.

Things leave the shelves at different times all over the nation regardless of when productions and shipping ends.

Okay, I fully agree that Sega Saturn games are still *technically* saleable items. Let's face it, the rules here at SX are based on semanitcs, I've never said otherwise. But here is some food for thought.

1) I was working at this site when Final Fight Revenge was released. At that time, and for a full year later, I refused to allow links for it.

2) The Saturn was never openly pirated during the lifespan of the system by SegaXtreme, whereas the Dreamcast is/was a hotbed of piracy. i would like to think (and perhaps this is just pie in the sky thinking) that SX did not in any way contribute to the death of the Dreamcast

3) Dreamcast piracy is too damn easy. Let's face it, if you are playing Saega Saturn games you either went out of your way to get a not very widely produced modboard OR you have taken the time to learn how to disc swap. This fact along tends to support the notion that Saturn gamers are a little more hardcore in their gaming then your average DC iso pir8.

4) The DC scene was and forever will be tainted by the juvenile antics of the "release groups' that run that "scene". Personally, I abhor the whole notion.

5) As I said before, people can do whatever they want on their own private ftps...but they will not be considered officially santioned by SX period. SX tolerates ftps...we are not trying to make them flourish. While that might seem slightly negative, the reality is that since teh staff of SX cannot control the content of other people's ftps, we cannot ever give them the "stamp of approval".

6) This site was originally about SegaCD and Sega Saturn only. These were both systems that essentially bombed in the North American marketplace. When we started handling ISOs many moons ago we went aganist the tide of all the other warez scenes out there...I mean my god, they are supporting systems no one liked. Well times have changed and now the Saturn is onsidered a "sleeper" system. Well that's wonderful and all, and I'm glad that acceptance has finaly come, but this site (and me personally) are aganist the proliferation of mainstream systems...and for the forseeable future DC is mainstream.

7. Finally, and not to sound power mad, because I say so. If I was suddenly to change this site to Sega Pico only, well that'd be my perogative seeing as I am in charge of the direction of things. That being the case no Dreamcast.

As an addendum, who exactly are you Cecilia Chen? You seem to know a lot about the history of what "management" has decided for this site, yet I don't recall you ever being a contributor during the period of time when we were all uploading games to free internet harddrives.

Perhaps you have changed your screen name...or perhaps you were one of the many, many people who simply leeched without understanding that this site was more about the giving then the taking.

SX was originally a bunch of people who wanted to share their games to other like-minded individuals because we knew that they were good, and others deserved the right to see that. By allowing the whole thing to balloon to the point it is now, that goal was been muddied.

Now feel free to cotinue asking for a clear cut definition of what is right and wrong...but you know that ultimately their is no decision to be made which will satisfy everyone. As such, we in the management do the best we can with the cards we have been handed. If anyone finds the rules too stifling, or the gray areas too gray...well I won't yake it personally if they don't post here anymore.

How about this for a reason: The sega Xtreme staff doesn't want them? That alone should be enough reason, but if you want another... Sega is still shutting down websites that contain DCISOs. I would be XTREMELY Pissed (pun inteneded), if Sega Xtreme was shut down simply because some dumbass didn't feel like whipping out the $2.50 bestbuy is charging for Mr. Driller. That alone, my friend, is reason enough for them not to host DCISOs.

Originally posted by RevQuixo@July 11 2002,21:39

7. Finally, and not to sound power mad, because I say so. If I was suddenly to change this site to Sega Pico only, well that'd be my perogative seeing as I am in charge of the direction of things. That being the case no Dreamcast.

[rant]

And that should be enough for anyone. This type of argument - whether it be about iso requesting or closing the FTP board or whatever - keeps coming around and yet SX members fail to grasp this one fact.

It not your board and you do not make the rules.

If the people that run the board make a rule you can either like it or lump it. No one is forcing you to come here.

[/rant]

Sorry for the rant but this sort of thing really pisses me off.

Back