Screeen resolution hacks

The size of the arena is not enough to fill the wide screen. Color lines on the sides I see for the first time. Perhaps this is the behavior of the game on the console. If you want to keep the aspect ratio of 4: 3 in the battle, then you should replace the modified "BATLE.BIN" file with the original one.
Oh, must be. Thank you, I will keep the battles in 4:3 then.

The battle backgrounds are 512x512. So it may be that in 16:9 the camera moves beyond that. To fix it would probably involve changing each battle background to be a higher resolution with more on all four sides.

Some progress with Shining Holy Ark (the same engine as the Shining Force 3):

Attachments

• 6244804.gif
    6244804.gif
    142.1 KB · Views: 444
@paul_met I have this Grandia issue to report from several weeks ago, just forgot to post.
There is a screen issue when Justin is leaving New Parm in the ship. The background isn't stretched so the scene looks funny, notice the squares on the sides:
ylxs1Q3.jpg

Since I'm playing on real hardware, I don't have means to provide a save game.

There is a screen issue when Justin is leaving New Parm in the ship. The background isn't stretched so the scene looks funny, notice the squares on the sides:
It looks like the background has a limited size (no scrolling). Therefore, the rest of the screen space is filled with garbage.

maybe there is a way to repeat the picture with the layer setup (you know the 4 planes address)

It looks like the background has a limited size (no scrolling). Therefore, the rest of the screen space is filled with garbage.

Yeah, that's most likely exactly it. The game was made with 4:3 in mind so the assets probably aren't big enough for it.

maybe there is a way to repeat the picture with the layer setup (you know the 4 planes address)

If that can fix it without requiring updated assets that might also work for the battle backgrounds.

Reactions: vbt
If that can fix it without requiring updated assets that might also work for the battle backgrounds.
it won't be perfect, but it can do the job, otherwise, it would be adding some hacking lines and update bg scaling on X without modifying the assets.

These are incredible hacks, thanks for building them, Paul.

Have you looked at Castlevania SOTN? I wonder if any of its notorious video issues could be addressed?

So here's one I noticed with Megaman X3:

Normally the game runs like this:
NgQOEmh.png

This is because the SNES runs at 256x224. Since the Saturn doesn't support this it runs in a window. However if you disable NBG0 you get this:

hdoJod8.png

The game doesn't update and draw new tiles until they're just before the window. However it will still draw in the area beyond the window if the data has already been loaded in. In this shot I walked forward a bit then backtracked:

XVUfJBt.png

With NBG0 re-enabled for comparison:
hxfYZdF.png

I'd imagine removing the border and extending the window it draws in would be a rather easy thing to fix for someone with more knowledge with this sort of thing.

These are incredible hacks, thanks for building them, Paul.

Have you looked at Castlevania SOTN? I wonder if any of its notorious video issues could be addressed?
Yes, I looked Castlevania SOTN for Saturn a long time ago. There you can increase the horizontal resolution of the screen to 352 pixels, but it will be useless in rooms without scrolling the screen. The game was ported from PS1 and optimized for a horizontal resolution of 256 pixels. It is necessary to expand the tile maps of all rooms without scrolling the screen (and there are quite a lot of them). In addition, another problem is all tile maps are packaged.

Funny how I was thinking just the other day about Megaman X3, would be amazing this game to be free from those stupid pillarboxes.

Have anyone took a look at Daytona USA? It has terrible thick black bars on top and bottom of the screen.

Yes, I looked Castlevania SOTN for Saturn a long time ago. There you can increase the horizontal resolution of the screen to 352 pixels, but it will be useless in rooms without scrolling the screen. The game was ported from PS1 and optimized for a horizontal resolution of 256 pixels. It is necessary to expand the tile maps of all rooms without scrolling the screen (and there are quite a lot of them). In addition, another problem is all tile maps are packaged.

The other issue with SotN is that all the graphics have been pre-scaled so they fill the 320x224 screen resolution. So if you're hoping to get the game to look nicer by trying to get the game to run in a 256x224 window that wont work. The graphics would need to be replaced with their original unscaled versions.

The other issue with SotN is that all the graphics have been pre-scaled so they fill the 320x224 screen resolution. So if you're hoping to get the game to look nicer by trying to get the game to run in a 256x224 window that wont work. The graphics would need to be replaced with their original unscaled versions.
I know about it. Therefore, I think the version of the game for Saturn is flawed. I honestly don’t want to mess with It anymore.

I know about it. Therefore, I think the version of the game for Saturn is flawed. I honestly don’t want to mess with It anymore.

I think there might be a few tools out there for the PS1 version that allow viewing and editing the level layouts and graphics. I'm not sure what kind of effort would be required to get them to be compatible with the Saturn version though.

Anyone have patches for Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2 and the Virtua Cop games?

Also, @paul_met can you please provide NTSC patches for the games you've made PAL patches only? I think most of the people have NTSC discs.
I ripped my Panzer Dragoon disc just to discover your patch is PAL only and I can't find a single PAL download. :(

Last edited:
I'm double posting to report a bug with Fighters Megamix.
On the second round, the screen does a slight zoom in after the annoucer says "Ready".
Also, anytime there are many camera rotations, the screen will go crazy and lost focus, resulting in the captures below and if you win, the camera will not track your fighter.

Attachments

• ss3.png
    ss3.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 296
  • ss4.png
    ss4.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 266
  • ss5.png
    ss5.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 256
  • ss6.png
    ss6.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 275
  • ss7.png
    ss7.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 271
  • ss8.png
    ss8.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 274
Also, @paul_met can you please provide NTSC patches for the games you've made PAL patches only? I think most of the people have NTSC discs.
I ripped my Panzer Dragoon disc just to discover your patch is PAL only and I can't find a single PAL download. :(
I made patches for the games in the region that I had available.
Here you can find disk images of any regions.
-------------------------------
I'm double posting to report a bug with Fighters Megamix.
On the second round, the screen does a slight zoom in after the annoucer says "Ready".
Also, anytime there are many camera rotations, the screen will go crazy and lost focus, resulting in the captures below and if you win, the camera will not track your fighter.
Unfortunately, possible bugs are a fee for using such hacks. The game was not originally designed for a wide screen, so the consequences of hacks may occur.

Back