Screeen resolution hacks

Are there any resolution hacks out there that reduce the resolution?
May sound odd (or not) I would love to see Virtua Fighter 2 in a 240p mode.

Could you by any chance make a hack for Thunder Force V that
1. turns off High Speed Shrink (it really makes some sprites look ugly)
2. changes the game to slow down instead of skipping frames or even skipping the display of polygons? Some of the bosses are disgusting due to the frame skipping, you literally can't see what's going on.

I made patches for the games in the region that I had available.
Here you can find disk images of any regions.
-------------------------------

Unfortunately, possible bugs are a fee for using such hacks. The game was not originally designed for a wide screen, so the consequences of hacks may occur.
Hi, I've tested the Pal Panzer Dragoon with the patch. The patch works fine but Panzer Dragoon is optimized for PAL, that means major overscan, wrong gameplay speed and disapearing parts at the bottom of the screen on NTSC consoles. It's unplayable. So, would you please make a NTSC widescreen patch too?

Hi, I've tested the Pal Panzer Dragoon with the patch. The patch works fine but Panzer Dragoon is optimized for PAL, that means major overscan, wrong gameplay speed and disapearing parts at the bottom of the screen on NTSC consoles. It's unplayable. So, would you please make a NTSC widescreen patch too?
Code:
Panzer Dragoon (USA) - Widescreen
File:    1ST_READ.PRG
Offset:    22974
Value:    0083

Code:
Panzer Dragoon (USA) - Widescreen
File:    1ST_READ.PRG
Offset:    22974
Value:    0083
Thank you so much. I will be doing this later tonight.

Update: Here is the edited file.

Attachments

• Panzer Dragoon (NTSC-U).rar
    561.9 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've had a Saturn for 16 years I think and have recently revisited it. I've gathered up various content relating to Widescreen hacks which is now a bit scattered:
There's a lot of fantastic work here. Off the back of this I was able to widescreen patch Sega Rally Championship Plus - the best version of the game (higher frame rate, much better car handling, 3D controller support). I have found the patch location for the Japanese version and also the USA Netlink Edition. Like the existing PAL patch, this only changes the in-game views not the demos in the attract sequence unfortunately. It would be great if someone could finish that. I wonder if @Esppiral could be tempted to make another attempt.

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (EUROPE) WIDESCREEN - Emulator RAM patch discovered by @Esppiral, file patch by @paul_met
Code:
File:   0RALLY.DAT (235KB)
Offset: 0xC358
To:     0000CC00

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP PLUS (JAPAN) WIDESCREEN - NEW!
Code:
File:   RALLY/0 (262KB)
Offset: 0xC3B0

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP PLUS NETLINK EDITION (USA) WIDESCREEN - NEW!
Code:
File:   RALLY/0RALLY.DAT (261KB)
Offset: 0xC3F4

I used the redump.ss dumps of the game discs. Use CDMage to extract the target file from the bin/cue track 1, use HxD hex editor to make the edits described above. Re-add the patched file in CDMage by right-clicking the existing file in the bin/cue contents and selecting 'import file'. Now export track 1. Use this file to replace the track 1 file in your cue sheet. Burn to CD-R with Imgburn.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've had a Saturn for 16 years I think and have recently revisited it. I've gathered up various content relating to Widescreen hacks which is now a bit scattered:
There's a lot of fantastic work here. Off the back of this I was able to widescreen patch Sega Rally Championship Plus - the best version of the game (higher frame rate, much better car handling, 3D controller support). I have found the patch location for the Japanese version and also the USA Netlink Edition. Like the existing PAL patch, this only changes the in-game views not the demos in the attract sequence unfortunately. It would be great if someone could finish that. I wonder if @Esppiral could be tempted to make another attempt.

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (EUROPE) WIDESCREEN - AR code discovered by @Esppiral, file patch by @paul_met
Code:

Code:

Code:

I used the redump.ss dumps of the game discs. Use CDMage to extract the target file from the bin/cue track 1, use HxD hex editor to make the edits described above. Re-add the patched file in CDMage by right-clicking the existing file in the bin/cue contents and selecting 'import file'. Now export track 1. Use this file to replace the track 1 file in your cue sheet. Burn to CD-R with Imgburn.
Thank you, I was looking for a Sega Rally one. Would you mind sharing this pdf you are talking about?

Hi all,

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (EUROPE) WIDESCREEN - Emulator RAM patch discovered by @Esppiral, file patch by @paul_met
Code:

Code:

Code:

Hello,

I really appreciate you adding your patching method for Sega Rally Championship. I was able to patch SRC Plus (Japan), but I was unable to patch SRC Plus Netlink Edition (USA). I couldn't find the offset 0xC3F4 in the 0RALLY.DAT file. The only offset that was close was 0xC3F0. I am new to using a hex editor. I would appreciate any help or guidance you might have. Thanks again.

Hello,

I really appreciate you adding your patching method for Sega Rally Championship. I was able to patch SRC Plus (Japan), but I was unable to patch SRC Plus Netlink Edition (USA). I couldn't find the offset 0xC3F4 in the 0RALLY.DAT file. The only offset that was close was 0xC3F0. I am new to using a hex editor. I would appreciate any help or guidance you might have. Thanks again.
0xC3F0 is the first address on the row, so move along the row to the fifth one. Each address is a pair of characters. I think there are column headings 00 01 02 03 04 and so on. You want the 04 column on the 0xCF0 line.

Last edited:
Greetings, these patches/hacks look amazing but I need more detailed help on how to apply them.

I'm using the patches from here (linked to by paul_met on emu-land in the OP):

I'm trying to patch Cotton 2 right now. I have the game available in 2 sources: 1) disc and 2) bin/cue.

These are the instructions:

- Open the original image of the desired region of the game in the program "CDMage" (attached).
- Insert all the file are in a directory that corresponds to your game region to the image through "CDMage" (select the file in the list and by the right-clicking select item "Import file").

I cannot drag over the CD Drive to CDMage, so I drag over the cue file. As this point, there is no way that I can find to comply with the second step. The closest I can do is "Action", "Important Sectors", then select the bin file provided by the patch (A00.BIN), "OK" (I do not modify any of the default options), and then it says it imported successful. However, when I save and burn this image, it does not run on my modded Saturn. I am doing something wrong.

Can someone please provide more detailed steps on how to apply these patches?

I figured it out, but now I have a new question. It worked easily with Cotton 2 with 1 file.

Is there a way to import all files for a game with more, like Keio 2? It looks like I can only import one at a time, and there are 52 files in need of important for that game.

Last edited:
Is there a way to import all files for a game with more, like Keio 2? It looks like I can only import one at a time, and there are 52 files in need of important for that game.
CDMage can insert only one file at a time.

Ok, thank you so much for your work on this Paul! Patch looks great with Cotton 2 and Keio 2, looking forward to getting more later.

DUNGEON MASTER NEXUS T-9111G

CEP CHEAT
800970EE C000 # 8738

W3Znh5r.png

EReM7ix.png

@paul_met Could you convert this into an hex patch?

Attachments

• DUNGEON MASTER NEXUS T-9111G V1.00319980203CD-1 U EJ.txt
    27 bytes · Views: 244
Die Hard Trilogy T-16103H V1.0 eur

The game consists in several executable each for each game (there are 3) and one for the main menu, so far I've only managed to patch 2 out of the 3 games.

UTCotRZ.png

g7DdHrW.png

Attachments

• DIE HARD TRILOGY.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
Back